Author Topic: NYC  (Read 5589 times)

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: NYC
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Pretty sure Amtrak wifi doesn't support media streaming anyway.  Often it barely supports email.

R&R, I don't download illegally either, and I too am reluctant to purchase video content that I know I won't re-watch, but FWIW, I found it worth buying some stuff for the iPad for my own frequent train travel.  You can get the whole first season of Homeland, for example, for about $20 through iTunes.  You might decide it's well worth it to make some purchases on iTunes to help break up the trip.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Online Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 06:44:08 AM »
You can rent movies through iTunes and have them downloaded onto your computer before you leave.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:50 AM »
oooh, really? SQUEE

Offline tedders55

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
I'm a cheapskate, and I don't download things illegally, so I don't really know what I would download that I could watch on the train. I'd like to watch some movies but don't see a way to do that. I don't think my laptop has the capability to play DVDs or I'd just bring the LOTR box set and nerd out watching the commentary tracks, which I am only about halfway through on the 2nd movie.

Also, a sort of legal option that the movie industry doesn't like is to convert movies you own (DVD, blu-ray) to a file on your computer.  As long as you convert the file to a version that is playable on your iPad you can have them available.  It is a time consuming process, but the availability is nice.  Here is some more information

MPAA doesn't like this as it then is rather simple to then illeagaly share the media.  However as you paid for the property (in this case the movie) you should be able to enjoy said property anywhere.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I don't buy movies so that's not really an option, but thx. Other than the LOTR box set, which was a gift, most of the DVDs we have are children's movies/shows. I have a couple of concert films my DH has gotten me that I haven't watched but I'm probably not going to want to watch those on the train.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
hey there -- im busy at work lately but will get back with this soon. im not a fan, but my spouse has gone to the allman beacon thing, you will be able to get tix no worries as long as you are flexible.

in the meantime, make sure you stock up on the most useful free local apps:

for transit get nyc kick-lite for the subway. also hopstop for point to point, mta weekender for service change notices and lastly i have downloaded the 5 borough bus maps from the mta website, they are pdf files. at least grab the manhattan bus map if you can.

for food get menupages for menus, info, gps maps and remarks and that is all you need, it is great, not 100% inclusive, but has all your choices at least. additionally you will want the village voice, timeout ny and brooklyn L magazine for events (food too). i use new york magazine's website a lot too, not sure if they have an app.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
xoxo thank you mrnyc!

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
oh look i just came across this in the post today - these links are to a list and some chatter about upcoming 2013 restaurant openings:

http://m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/food/more_openings_xTV5rliYhNKkuBZKsEEV9K

http://m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/food/swine_dining_zw9WNu97dSEt0Q4ABKrK2K

Offline kennybabes

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 07:21:33 AM »
Was in NYC for New Years. 

Friends turned me on to Hop Stop...an app for smart phones

http://www.hopstop.com/?action=mobile_android

definitely worth the cost FREE..  Put in your destination and it will step by step you to the right subway and where to change, and walking directions at either end.

AND it works for Cleveland RTA and other major international cities such as London.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:22:53 AM by kennybabes »

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
thx. downloading hopstop now.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 01:11:03 AM »
"A" list:

Eataly - a must do, overwhelming to the senses & wallet, i get a lot of italian imports at half of eataly prices in the chelsea market.

Bar Boulud - before the beacon i take? i like cafe luxembourg as its more lively, but of course the food is better at boulud.

Rocking Horse Cafe - ha my hood & my bklyn/cleve friend's old college roomate's family owns this. lively, good drinks & stacked-tower style mex. honestly, we go to suenos across the street instead or ofrenda in the village (my fav & owner/chef started in ny bussing tables).

The Meatball Shop - good but u will need a nap.

Porchetta - i only peeked at this place, looks good but i go to faicco's for this.

Mission Chinese Food - i would love to tell you but there is always a line of 20-somethings down the block! dont waste time for that (although orchard is interesting to see & plenty to do nearby).

Parm - as good as anything along mulberry st. will be fun at the least.

Pok Pok Ny - no. do not go to out of yr way brooklyn for this. if you want the best thai and have half a day to burn on a short trip go to shripraphai in queens instead, the train is right there as is the united nations of food that is along roosevelt ave.

No Name Bar - omg no. you are from cleveland. do not go hours and hours way out of your way to greenpoint the cle of nyc. time is your enemy. have some ramen in the east village at ippudo or if thats mobbed setagaya. or soba ya for soba. all are awesome. if you are around grand central or go to gari make sure to go to sakagura izakaya afterward, very very cool place and good. it has a more youthful sister izakaya in the east village called decibel you would love too.

Bobwhite Lunch & Supper Counter - what is it with this place? i just brought my bro out for xmas and he was asking about it too (we didnt go we went to obscura antiques instead). i peeked in its clean and modern with homestyle food. eh. seems like hype. if you go do report. i like esperanto on ave c.

Please Don’t Tell (PDT) cocktail bar - fun. be sure to have a crif dog they are excellent. there are craft drinks bars in every nabe these days. we have employees only and my fav little branch.

Shake Shack or Milk Burger - who doesnt like a burger n shake? beware ss is no in n out.

Spotted Pig - my hood again. gnudi or that burger? cant lose. the rest is hit or miss. clubby, cute and fun. definately go and only sit downstairs.

Le Pain Quotidien - its a chain from belgium. ok but not go out of your way special. have some challah or matzoh ball soup at the b&h diner counter and order a egg cream at the gem spa newsstand. thats an old school evdon approved breakfast (although no doubt he has complaints lol!)

Tasty Dumpling - two thumbs up.  across the st from chinatown park. there are two dried beef jerky shops nearby i like too. get some for the ride home. but you can get dumplings anyplace. there is a decent dumpling joint in the ev next to the physical graffiti apt bldg. ps -- if its a saturday go to jin fong for dim sum, its good and fun. or dim sum go go if u want made to order instead of the carts.

ps -- you might want to visit the cleveland chefs at locanda verde and tremont restaurants!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:23:06 AM by mrnyc »

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:01 AM »
Tim Bando left Tremont and is back in Cleveland cooking at Deagan's.

Thx for all this other very valuable knowledge, helps me pare and focus my list quite a bit.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
* good tohear.

well, there is still this new place:

Yesterday The Cleveland opened on (yup, you guessed it!) Cleveland Place. The new Soho restaurant features American favorites like rubbed skirt steak, roasted chicken, and sautéed kale. Owners Paul Shaked and Hudson Solomon hope to begin lunch service in a few months. 25 Cleveland Pl.

Offline Jax

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
No Momofuku on the list?

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »

Le Pain Quotidien - its a chain from belgium. ok but not go out of your way special. have some challah or matzoh ball soup at the b&h diner counter and order a egg cream at the gem spa newsstand. thats an old school evdon approved breakfast (although no doubt he has complaints lol!)

ha ha...I haven't been in b&h in ages. Is it still there?? I didn't know Le Pain Quotidian was from Belgium. The Cobb Salad is good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. It's just that they're everywhere and convenient (and not expensive). Likewise for Shake Shack--it's overrated. You can probably get better burgers in Cleveland, which undoubtedly has its share of "upscale" burger joints by now, as well as in New York.

Also there's a restaurant in the E. Village called Calliope that the foodie set has been raving about for the past year (I hardly ever eat out anymore!)--
http://www.calliopenyc.com/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:07:13 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
Some other thoughts, R&R:

Along the line of Jax, I'd really consider adding a David Chang place to your list. 
You might also check out the Fatty Crab in mrnyc's neighborhood, which is a lot of fun, and great Malaysian street food inspired fare.

As for burger places, I like Shake Shack fine, but not enough to wait outside.  I much prefer either a quality old school NYC burger place (my favorite is JG Melon on the UES, but there are several others), or one of the better hipster ones, like Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian in midtown, which is painfully, self-consciously ironic in its atmosphere, but still fun.

I definitely second Porchetta.  They are masters at their craft.

I'm sure you can get plenty of good pizza recommendations from the crew here too if you're interested,  both sit down and slice places.  There are plenty of good ones without the silly waits you finds at some of the more famous ones.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »
I don't like seafood and don't eat shellfish so anything with crab in the name is probably out. I did the Parker meridian burger place on my last trip and wasn't impressed.

I am not sure about wait times and reservations for the Chang places. R how much seafood would be on the menu.Also, though i will be solo much of the time, my schedule is likely up in the air until just before I arrive because my friends in the city are very bad at planning ahead so it's hard to get an itin together right now.

Would love pizza recs. went to the famous place in Brooklyn last trip, looking to stay in manhattan this time I think

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
"Most of the places recommended are not what I would be looking for - too expensive, or beer-focused or seafood-focused..."

for "not...too expensive" you should definitely cross out The Modern, Joel Robuchon and Perry St from your original list. I think they average over $100 per person.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
okay, definitely cross off L'Atelier De Joël Robuchon. It closed in June!

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
Wow, yeah, out of my price range.

Offline Jax

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Momofuku Noodle Bar is reasonably priced although the menus don't explicitly list prices for some reason. They also have an online reservation system.

http://momofuku.com/new-york/noodle-bar/dinner/

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
^yes, it's Momofuku Ko that's expensive.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:56:44 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
I don't think the David Chang places are particularly sea-food heavy.  Not sure about the waits these days.  I think I've only been to the Noodle Bar, and it was too long ago. I keep meaning to get to more.

Not exactly a household name, but there's a nifty meat-centric Belgian place (i.e., far more than the generic mussels and frites stuff) in Murray Hill called Resto which served me well a few times several years ago: http://www.restonyc.com/  I'm a fan of good Belgian food generally (central Europe meets French; kind of like Alsatian I guess), but not sure how universally appealing it is.

Also, if you're into the genre, the Austrian cafe (http://www.neuegalerie.org/cafes/sabarsky) at the Neue Gallerie at 86th and 5th Ave after a run through the awesome little museum makes a great art and food duo.

For pizza, you can get so many recommendations, and at a certain point it's just so subjective which are better than others (among the good ones; god knows there is plenty of crap).  Best just to keep a list of some good places and then hit one or two when convenient.  You're likely familiar with a lot of the good ones anyway, and I have no hidden special finds, but in case useful here are some of my favorites:
*For slices, I like Bleecker Street pizza (Bleecker and 7th Ave); the classic Joe's (Bleecker and 6th), and the Sicilian slices at Artichoke (one location on East 14th, one on MacDougal) [though I find their famous signature slices kind of disgusting]. 
*For sit down, I dig the modern pies at Kesta (Bleecker near 6th), the excellent thin American pies at Posto (2nd Ave and 18th), the classic John's (Bleecker) and the coal fired classic Arturos.  Lots of good Neopolitan places as well. The real best to me is Franny's in Brooklyn, which is probably off your route a little bit.  But oh so good.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
i was just thinking when you are out and about you might want to try some newer pizza places with a distinct specialty:  don antonio, forcella or pizzaarte -- they do naples/la montanara style pizza:

"First they flatten the dough, fry it (no fried taste) then put on the sauce, cheese and whatever, and then they bake it. this is exactly how they make it in Naples-a crisp, non soggy crust. Very tasty and very authentic..if its Naples style pizza you want."

also, ovest on w27th is another good neapolitan if you are visiting the chelsea galleries/highline or try naples45 if you are at grand central.

^which reminds me of a good point, dont go too out of your way for pizza, because there is bound to be something good near your travels whereever you are when the pizza craving moment strikes you.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
^or if you're starving and really wanna go cheap and hardcore, try one of the many new 99-cents-a-slice places that have opened in recent years (although I would avoid a chain called Joey Pepperoni's--a likely name. Too greasy). Sure, they're not exactly what ya'd call "artisanal" :roll:, but I really don't think they're that qualitatively different from the standard-issue pizza places that have been around for ages which now charge $2.50 for a plain slice (except for Joe's in the Village, which Straphanger mentioned--it's excellent). I remember when those places charged 50 cents. Everyone was annoyed when they went to 75 cents, and outraged at $1.00!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:51:22 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
Thanks all. Trip is fast approaching!

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for your great ideas and suggestions for my trip. Unfortunately, we've run in to a sudden and very bad financial situation so all extraneous spending has been instantly curtailed. This means my NYC trip is not happening. Not sure if or when I will be able to reschedule. But maybe this thread can serve others well in their travels there.

As a side note, though I know there's nothing I can do about the train ticket, what do you all recommend in terms of sites where I might be able to try to sell my concert ticket? I don't think craigs is reputable enough, especially the NYC craig's, for me to try to sell it there. Is there a more ticket-focused site?

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for your great ideas and suggestions for my trip. Unfortunately, we've run in to a sudden and very bad financial situation so all extraneous spending has been instantly curtailed. This means my NYC trip is not happening. Not sure if or when I will be able to reschedule. But maybe this thread can serve others well in their travels there.

As a side note, though I know there's nothing I can do about the train ticket, what do you all recommend in terms of sites where I might be able to try to sell my concert ticket? I don't think craigs is reputable enough, especially the NYC craig's, for me to try to sell it there. Is there a more ticket-focused site?

Why can't you get a refund for the train ticket? Amtrak issues ticket refunds.
CLEVELAND: East Coast amenities at Midwest prices!

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
It's typically super easy to cancel too.  Until recently, there wasn't even a fee for day-of cancellations.  Though depending on how you paid, you may end up with an annoying "e-voucher" that you have to turn into cash through additional steps (or apply to future travel).

And more importantly, I hope things are OK and that you guys are fully back on your feet soon, financially. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:25:55 PM by StrapHanger »

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
You can cancel a train ticket? Who knew. I will go look into it.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
Holy crap you guys, thank you so much! I just cancelled and only have to pay a 10% cancellation fee. I just assumed it was like air travel and you were screwed. I feel much better about cancelling now.

strap, thanks for the well wishes. Me too. very tough right now.

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
Holy crap you guys, thank you so much! I just cancelled and only have to pay a 10% cancellation fee. I just assumed it was like air travel and you were screwed. I feel much better about cancelling now.

strap, thanks for the well wishes. Me too. very tough right now.

I keep telling ya the virtues of train travel! ;) I hope your financial situation improves soon and you can take this trip.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:07:10 PM by KJP »
CLEVELAND: East Coast amenities at Midwest prices!

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
you might try to sell your tix on stubhub.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
Thx. I posted it there yesterday actually :)

Offline tedders55

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
As opposed to starting a new thread just so it can die later I am going to bogart this one.

The wife and I are going back to NYC for our Anniversary Weekend, Aug. 9-11.  We are just going for the weekend so it wont be anything too crazy.  She pretty much said "Don't plan"  :evil: :drunk: :angel:

But she was interested in renting bikes and riding around the city, probably through Central Park.  We just got a new Nikon D5200 camera and will probably be playing with that.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Bike Rentals?  We are staying at the W Union Square, so it could be around there or up by Central Park.

Also, we are thinking of going to see some stand up comedy act somewhere.  Again if anyone has any recommendation they would be appreciated. 

I promise when I get back I will upload some pictures.  I need more experience with the camera anyway before we go to Europe in the fall.

Remove Ads