Remove Ads

Author Topic: Moving back to Cincinnati  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
Re: Moving back to Cincinnati
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »
Here's a place I virtually lived in in Mt Auburn.
Semi finished attic, nothing is square, no central AC, used to have a 2 car garage.
It's actually a nice 1895 place. Toilet room is separated from the bathroom with a heater in the wall in between. Nothin' like a warm place to poop.
It's far enough down Highland that the BS at McMillan shouldn't be an issue.
http://www.century21.com/property/2220-highland-ave-cincinnati-oh-45219-CBR19618845
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Living in Gin

• The architect of good taste
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not really in a position to buy anything, and won't be for a few more years. Otherwise I'd buy something in OTR and fix it up myself.
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Offline Living in Gin

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
No money has changed hands and nothing has been signed yet, but it looks like I'll be getting a place in Clifton's Gaslight District, on Senator Place around the corner from Skyline Chili. (No dishwasher, alas, but with the time I save commuting I should be able to find time to wash my dishes by hand.)

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:03 AM »
Don't even wash 'em. It's European not to.

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Wash them, but don't rinse the soap off. Just put them straight in the dish drainer. That is the Euro way as I learned it. I'm sure the continent is not monolithic in its (in)sanitary practices, however.

Offline Living in Gin

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
I'll be going full-on hipster by making my own organic soap from locally sourced raw materials, and using a natural sponge harvested from the ocean floor by Indonesian peasants.

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
well....
Has the place got room for an Indonesian peasant? A good size storage bin would probably be ok.
It'll need air holes.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Living in Gin

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
Just a quick note to say that after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (mainly due to having my car's transmission crap out in the Inland Empire just as I had hit the road to Cincinnati, which involved a $2650 rebuild and four extra nights in motel rooms), I finally arrived in Cincinnati this past Saturday. It's good to be back home again.

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
Cars suck!

Welcome home. Can't say I'm not a little jelly.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »
I bet a lot of transmissions crap out in the Inland Empire.

Offline Living in Gin

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »
Mine had been showing some symptoms of trouble for a while, but I had my mechanic in Santa Monica look at it twice and he said it looked fine. I was hoping to nurse it along back to Cincinnati and have my mechanic here look at it, but it had other plans. I think 30 miles of stop-and-go rush hour traffic through Los Angeles on a Friday evening, with the car loaded down with all my stuff, didn't help. The long uphill stretch of I-10 just east of Covina is what finally did it in; the Aamco guy in Upland said most of the internal components of the transmission essentially welded themselves together due to extreme overheating. I'm just happy this happened in the LA suburbs and not out in the middle of the desert somewhere. Good news is, they installed a heavy-duty transmission cooler along with the new tranny, so hopefully I'll get a few more years of life from my car, as the engine and body are still in good shape.

In retrospect, this whole co-op experience in California was a huge mistake on my part. While it wasn't without its good points, it certainly wasn't worth the enormous financial and personal sacrifices I made for it. I should've just done this co-op with a local firm in Cincinnati, kept my apartment in OTR, and used part of the money I would've saved to take a nice two-week vacation to the Pacific Northwest. Oh well, live and learn...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:49:22 AM by Living in Gin »

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
You must have learned something about how much you would or would not desire a career move to LA. That's part of the magic of the co-op: a low-commitment way to test out a possible career move.

Offline Living in Gin

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
LA was never my first choice for this co-op; I was hoping to end up in Seattle or Portland. When it became clear that wasn't going to happen, I should have just stayed local instead of accepting a low-paying position in LA and giving up the life I had worked so hard to build here in Cincinnati. (And the co-op wasn't supposed to last for eight months, but a scheduling screw-up thanks to UC's semester conversion left me stranded out there for an additional semester. If I had been working for a local firm, that extra semester would've just meant more money in the bank, instead of using it all to pay for moving expenses.)

I met some great people and the work experience will look good in my portfolio, and I hope someday I can look back on all the sacrifices I made to make it happen, but for now I'm just not seeing it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:20:21 PM by Living in Gin »

Offline CincyGuy45202

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Well, welcome back!