Remove Ads

Author Topic: Hipsters  (Read 25869 times)

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
Re: Hipsters
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
I partied with them one night when they were on tour with Toxic Holocaust and Municipal Waste in 2008. Their roadie/merch guy Cliff lived in Cincinnati at the time so they stayed at his house. I was friends with him and another guy who lived there who opened the show as local support. There's a picture out there of us, them and Joel from Toxic Holocaust chugging liquor in Cliff's kitchen.

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #246 on: November 16, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Can we just acknowledge that hipsterism is dead? The Gap and Kohl's probably do have a sh!t ton of "hipster" clothes available, which is a definitive sign of the movement's death. It's been absorbed and reappropriated by the mainstream.

No countercultural movement can be legitimate so many years after its beginning. Imagine someone trying to be "grunge" in 2005. There's your hipster in 2012. Just doesn't work.

Somewhere, there are cool kids living out whatever the new thing is now. They're just so cool they haven't been tagged with a label yet.

Hipsterism is mainstream in coastal cities. It was never counterculture except in flyover burgs. It just took elements from previous countercultures and ruined them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:35:49 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
Hipsters
« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
Boat shoes are back. Why not Jams? I am officially old when I remember a trend the first time. Ray Bans knock offs and Sperry boat shoes? I had both in 1985(?) when I was 8.

Personally I am trying to bring back Bass shors Dirty Bucs with the suede tops and crepe soles. No socks. I have a vintage pair from the 90s that I never wore that I found at my parents. My wife hates them of course.

Edit: sorry I missed a whole page before typing this.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:27:21 AM by CBC »
"Yes, UO, you're my dirty little mistress."-AJ93

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
  • The former j3
« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »
I was told the other day I am quasi-hipster because my glasses are a little thicker than wire rims, I wear modern fit dress pants and shirts, like to wear sweaters with collared shirts and ties, wear jackets/coats from The Gap, own a fedora, drink craft beer, like the city, have a beard, try different foods, think smoking a pipe would be awesome, and don't mind vinyl records.

I found this to be absurd as I've never drank PBR, have no tattoos/piercings, work an entry-level government job, and have never bought an article of clothing to wear seriously from a thrift store in my entire life. Heck, most of my wardrobe consists of stuff I bought on sale at Kohl's.

You were fine until you got to the fedora part.  Unfortunately, that’s a fatal flaw and makes you automatically qualify.

Also, the tightness of the modern fit pants is another issue.  If they are a slim cut, that’s fine, but “skinny” and beyond is another fatal flaw.

If it makes any difference, the only time I ever seem to wear the fedora is on Halloween. Even if I did wear it, I would wear it with a standard black suit. Is that "hipster"?

The pants are slim cut. No way would I ever wear that skinny stuff.

If anything, I'm more into the Mad Men look.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:54:21 PM by Johio »
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
  • The former j3
« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »
think smoking a pipe would be awesome

come out of the closet hipster

Since I don't smoke I'm not worried about this one. Actually, probably the only reason I like pipes is because its what my grandfather smoked and I liked the smell of it.
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2012, 11:46:55 PM »
So am I the only one thinking there was some hipster out there, somewhere, who ironically voted for Romney?

I know tons of hipsters who voted for Romney! They were protecting the trust fund!

In Ohio? Yeah, that would be kind of interesting...

Going along with the economic stratification of post-2000 hipsters, it's likely the Romney hipsters are living in choice neighborhoods of New York, San Francisco, and Chicago. There are a lot of hipsters who are liberal in social interaction only. They like the drugs and sex, but they'll protect their money before anything else. When it comes to hipsters who don't have plans to retire by 30, I can't imagine why they'd vote for Romney. He looks like the angry stepfather who will grab their cigarettes and stomp them on the ground. He'll also never give them a job due to their tattoos and piercings.

I know I'm going to hate myself for asking but (Rose), here goes!  So that I can better understand you're answer,  where do you get this information?  Hipsters live in choice neighborhoods?  What is your definition of a choice neighborhood?   retire before 30??  Hell, before you can retire you need to have a job!
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
Choice to them I guess. Hipster neighborhoods aren't for everyone as MTS is pointing out.

Offline c3vin

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:38 AM »

Since I don't smoke I'm not worried about this one. Actually, probably the only reason I like pipes is because its what my grandfather smoked and I liked the smell of it.

You're hipster, bro.  Y U Mad?

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
So that I can better understand you're answer,  where do you get this information?  Hipsters live in choice neighborhoods?  What is your definition of a choice neighborhood?   retire before 30??  Hell, before you can retire you need to have a job!

Mission District, which has become one of the most expensive/competitive places for housing in the United States. You don't need a job if you have a trust fund and a good portfolio manager. :wink: I didn't think the retired under 30 crowd existed, but lord it does!

I doubt most Midwestern hipsters live in choice neighborhoods (outside Chicago's Wicker Park), at least not in big numbers. Though does OTR have a good number of hipsters? That's a choice neighborhood by Ohio standards. Cincinnati is the next Oakland.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:00:21 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:23 AM »

To be a true hipster, you have to smoke, at least cigarettes, but preferably weed too.

*But the whole "my grandfather smoked and I liked the smell of it" sounds like a hipster defense to me...

..."my grandfather liked skinny jeans and he always picked up the flappers."
..."my grandfather liked PBR and he worked in a factory in Wisconsin."
..."my grandfather went to art school and my mom was his printmaking instructor."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:06:39 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »
So that I can better understand you're answer,  where do you get this information?  Hipsters live in choice neighborhoods?  What is your definition of a choice neighborhood?   retire before 30??  Hell, before you can retire you need to have a job!

Mission District, which has become one of the most expensive/competitive places for housing in the United States. You don't need a job if you have a trust fund and a good portfolio manager. ;) I didn't think the retired under 30 crowd existed, but lord it does!

I doubt most Midwestern hipsters live in choice neighborhoods (outside Chicago's Wicker Park), at least not in big numbers. Though does OTR have a good number of hipsters? That's a choice neighborhood by Ohio standards. Cincinnati is the next Oakland.

Only one neighborhood in the three cities mentioned.. (side eye)  Are those 100% those are residents?  Or are those coming into the neighborhood to party, hangout etc.

I don't know many that label themselves as hipsters and have trust funds.  Who are these people in the Under 30 and retired category.  I want to meet them!  I want to know how they did, so I can retire at 50!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:13:35 AM by MyTwoSense »

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2012, 06:14:56 AM »
Nobody labels themselves "Hipster".

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2012, 06:19:07 AM »

I'm going to disagree.    Just go to a local hipster venue where they will no doubt be in deep discussion about how mainstream has failed, while tweeting on the "next big thing" smart phone and wearing the same non conformist "uniform".

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »
^^We could go the obvious New York route, but everyone here knows about the jacked rents in Williamsburg, Park Slope, etc. I bet there are a lot of retired under 30 crowd in Brooklyn these days (or working in jobs with high income/low hours that are close to it).

Hipsters are not 100% of the Mission residents due to rent control and some long-standing native holdouts (thank God), but it's trending that way (natives are leaving in big numbers). These are San Francisco hipsters, meaning real money, and lots of it. There's no faking it since landlords do their homework and there is a line out the door in the hundreds. No one lives there cheaply unless they've been there 20 years and have rent control. New York has gotten similar. It's best to avoid hipster neighborhoods if you value your sanity!

Park Slope had a write-up in the popular New York hipster blog (already linked here, but it's a gold mine):

http://diehipster.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/park-slope-parents-vow-to-change-brooklyn/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:30:50 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »

I'm going to disagree.    Just go to a local hipster venue where they will no doubt be in deep discussion about how mainstream has failed, while tweeting on the "next big thing" smart phone and wearing the same non conformist "uniform".

Second this. A lot of real deal hipsters are owning the label now. That's a sign of how big this culture has gotten. Being a hipster is no longer shameful. Now that it's big in the Midwest (even Detroit), it's acceptable everywhere. I know it sounds crazy, but Ohio is the next hipster central!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:35:52 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
If hipsters are calling themselves hipsters now, it is another sure sign the movement is dead. Rule #1 of being a legit hipster always has been and always will be denying you are one. Rule #2 is saying you hate hipsters.

Offline c3vin

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #261 on: November 19, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
I'm post-hipster.

:mrgreen:

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #262 on: November 19, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
^^I don't know about that. I consider it similar to how girls call each other sluts. A movement can't be dead if it's mainstream.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:13:32 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #263 on: November 19, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
from yesterday's NY Times. this explains everything!

How to Live Without Irony
By CHRISTY WAMPOLE

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/how-to-live-without-irony/?src=me&ref=general

If irony is the ethos of our age — and it is — then the hipster is our archetype of ironic living.

The hipster haunts every city street and university town. Manifesting a nostalgia for times he never lived himself, this contemporary urban harlequin appropriates outmoded fashions (the mustache, the tiny shorts), mechanisms (fixed-gear bicycles, portable record players) and hobbies (home brewing, playing trombone). He harvests awkwardness and self-consciousness. Before he makes any choice, he has proceeded through several stages of self-scrutiny. The hipster is a scholar of social forms, a student of cool. He studies relentlessly, foraging for what has yet to be found by the mainstream. He is a walking citation; his clothes refer to much more than themselves. He tries to negotiate the age-old problem of individuality, not with concepts, but with material things.

He is an easy target for mockery. However, scoffing at the hipster is only a diluted form of his own affliction. He is merely a symptom and the most extreme manifestation of ironic living. For many Americans born in the 1980s and 1990s — members of Generation Y, or Millennials — particularly middle-class Caucasians, irony is the primary mode with which daily life is dealt. One need only dwell in public space, virtual or concrete, to see how pervasive this phenomenon has become. Advertising, politics, fashion, television: almost every category of contemporary reality exhibits this will to irony.

Offline AJ93

• Premium Member
« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2012, 08:29:13 AM »
Bah, you just beat me to it!

This paragraph in the article frightened me

"Look around your living space. Do you surround yourself with things you really like or things you like only because they are absurd? Listen to your own speech. Ask yourself: Do I communicate primarily through inside jokes and pop culture references? What percentage of my speech is meaningful? How much hyperbolic language do I use? Do I feign indifference?"

Dear god...I think I might be a hipster
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #265 on: November 19, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »
It was 2-3 years ago that I started purging anything ironic from my life. All those t-shirts I bought in college from the thrift store wound up right back there. Once I spent enough time in the full-time work world I realized that the ironic stuff wasn't cool; it was just insulting.

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #266 on: November 19, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
^^^ Interesting article, if a bit overstating the gravity of the issue. This part at the end stuck out at me as something I have tried to convey (even in this thread), but nowhere near as impactfully:
People may choose to continue hiding behind the ironic mantle, but this choice equals a surrender to commercial and political entities more than happy to act as parents for a self-infantilizing citizenry.

I think she may be overstating things again, but the fact is you are failing if you are, e.g., expressing your anti-consumerist ethics through ironic materialism. Self-aware inauthenticity does not somehow yield authentic substance. This is the hipster fallacy.

I hadn't thought of it as a defense mechanism, but that is a good insight.

Edit: Here is where I said something like that on the first page of this thread:
self-consciousness of absurdity does not erase or redeem the absurdity.

I didn't explicitly extend the principle to consumerism or politics, but the maxim fits all fields of irony. It is especially relevant to things like that which should obviously be considered and acted upon with conviction. It is true, though, that many hipsters get serious about things like veganism and green transportation. We shouldn't discount that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:02:09 AM by natininja »

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
If I sell something to someone or get free promotion from them, I definitely don't care if it was done ironcially. I still got your money.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »
What sucks is you have to buy really expensive clothes in order to avoid buying stuff with logos. 

Offline JohnClevesSymmes

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Excess ain't rebellion
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »
Check this out: I have very very non-hipster friends who will say things like "I'm going out in OTR tonight so I am wearing my hipster outfit!" This is done and said with total sincerity, without a hint of irony.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: November 19, 2012, 11:36:39 PM »
Obtuse is the new ironic?

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »
I went to Guitar Center last night.  3 of the staff were mustachio'd hipsters.  First the dude working the door, then the guy in the microphone/keyboard dept, then the roving salesman trying to sell you a guitar or bass.  Each was going for the molestache creeper look.  I don't know how you have a conversation about clip-on microphones or ask if that Jaguar comes in yellow sunburst from such a character.  At least none of them called me "man" or "my man" unlike the wannabe California guys that used to work there. 

In the back some dude was "shopping" for a keyboard with his girlfriend.  She was playing chopsticks and Heart & Soul with complete earnestness.   

Offline JohnClevesSymmes

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Excess ain't rebellion
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2012, 02:47:37 AM »
^Movember?

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »
Ummmm, T'pau's Heart and Soul? That's pretty cool actually. I wonder if she knows "I Can't Wait". Man I want to hear dogs bark the melody of "I Can't Wait" so bad.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Out of Place: a portrait of surfing in Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »
I was told the other day I am quasi-hipster because my glasses are a little thicker than wire rims, I wear modern fit dress pants and shirts, like to wear sweaters with collared shirts and ties, wear jackets/coats from The Gap, own a fedora, drink craft beer, like the city, have a beard, try different foods, think smoking a pipe would be awesome, and don't mind vinyl records.

I found this to be absurd as I've never drank PBR, have no tattoos/piercings, work an entry-level government job, and have never bought an article of clothing to wear seriously from a thrift store in my entire life. Heck, most of my wardrobe consists of stuff I bought on sale at Kohl's.

I overheard a guy at work call me a "hipster."

It was because I don't like cover bands.

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2012, 07:14:04 AM »
Sweet Juniper is one of the big Detroit hipster blogs. It's about a stay-at-home dad who left behind his career to dress up his kid in Detroit, and well, do this blog:

http://www.sweetjuniper.com
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:17:52 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
Check this out: I have very very non-hipster friends who will say things like "I'm going out in OTR tonight so I am wearing my hipster outfit!" This is done and said with total sincerity, without a hint of irony.

Ten years ago, could you imagine hipsters in Over-the-Rhine?

I have a lot of problems whenever I go to hipster venues. People come up and start getting in my face, and girls act ridiculous around me. Just last weekend at a terrible hipster bar, a girl interrupted me while I was talking to another girl, called me an asshole, and then started flirting with me. Only hipsters do this crap. I guess being the only masculine guy in the bar throws them off.

Her hipster guy friend comes up to me after a big argument with her that ended in a slapping match (she was clearly getting off on this like 50 Shades of Grey), and says "she just needs to get laid." Hipster game is terrible. It does more to turn you off than anything else.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:54:17 AM by C-Dawg »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
^You sure you weren't in Mt. Adams?
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline OTR

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Over-the-Rhine
    • OTR Blog
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
honestly, what is the obsession with 'hipsters' - it's just a style fad or something

who cares...

BNV Finals: Philadelphia Round Two
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:57:23 PM by OTR »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »
^Makes people feel better about themselves to come up with some "other" group to blame their problems on.  Not allowed to use the Jews for that anymore.