Author Topic: Cincinnati: Clifton Heights: U Square @ the Loop  (Read 226802 times)

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Clifton Heights: U Square @ the Loop
« Reply #1085 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
I didn't even know Quizno's was still around. I thought they had gone under.
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline taestell

• Premium Member
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #1086 on: December 14, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »
I'm surprised about the new (third?) Keystone location. Mac and Cheese monday will be popular with the students.

And yay for BD's Mongolian Grill!

Offline Yves Behar

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1087 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »
everyones gonna get fat.

Offline jmicha

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #1088 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
^Haha my friend and I were actually joking about that. UC's student population is generally in pretty good shape. I'd attribute a lot of that to an awesome rec center combined with most students walking everywhere and the area being hilly. But with the announcement of Keystone and Waffle House I would bet that trend is over haha.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1089 on: December 14, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
People talk about fast food being bad, but I guarantee these gigantic, rich fast casual portions are worse for people. All those calories and carbs.

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1090 on: December 14, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
^ There's nothing wrong with calories or carbs. Your body craves them for a reason. The problem is lethargic lifestyles. The human body did not evolve to eat big meals every night, and then lay on the couch. The human body evolved to milk as much energy out of as little food as possible. Until relatively recently humans mostly knew only famine, and lived very physically demanding lifestyles (hunting, farming, constant warfare, etc).  Because Americans don't do real physical labor anymore we do fake physical labor and call it "exercise."  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:43:50 PM by wholtone »

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1091 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »
Some photos taken around U Square today.

Offline Yves Behar

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1092 on: December 15, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »
I just wish they wouldn't put that EIFS stuff on there, just instantly says cheap to me. Otherwise I think it'll be okay.

Offline jmicha

« Reply #1093 on: December 15, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »
Now that this project is far enough along to form a real opinion of it architecturally, I can say that I REALLY wish two things happened here differently. I wish the commercial building had one more story on it as it's a little short compared to everything else. Overall that building isn't bad looking so far though. Nothing that will have anyone studying its architecture, but certainly not offensive either. But if it were a story taller I think its proportions would work a lot better.

The other thing I wish had happened was the residential building had ANY sort of rhyme or reason to its elements. It is as if they came up with all these ideas, threw them together into one building, then called it a day. No refinement, no trimming of concept. Just ideas mashed together. There are certain elements, individually, that are decent and if a pattern or rhythm was set up they'd definitely work, but as it is the building is just a mess. I like what it does from an urban standpoint as it is definitely going to bring a lot more life to the area, but its an ugly building. Hell, I'd have enjoyed it if it was just the commercial building's design modified to be taller and to fit residential units. At least that building has an overall idea to it and everything, although not exciting, works together. This building, however, does not have that going for it. That and there are some really odd things happening up at the top. The second picture shows it best. That extension of the bump out that's a full story above the rest? Does anyone know if that's for something? There are several of those and they all look really out of place.f

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1094 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
They're probably built in pilot houses for roof access. 

Offline jmicha

« Reply #1095 on: December 15, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
Ah, that actually makes sense. I should've guessed that. I just wish they were somehow better integrated into the building. They're just so goofy looking proportionally and act as this random vertical element  in a LONG horizontal building. Hopefully in a few years once everything is finished and the trees are all planted and starting to reach the size of the trees already out front of UPA things will look better and more coherent/like a neighborhood.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #1096 on: December 15, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
I agree that the office building should have had a fourth floor. Looks so short and bizarre.

Other comments:
It looks better than the banks I think....glad there's more red brick, but wish there was less EIFS.  As a side note, City Council had put an IDC over Pleasant Ridge (my former neighborhood) business district when there were rumors that Anchor properties wanted to tear down half the business district for a super Walgreens last summer.  Because of that IDC still being in place, when the hideous Burger King came to the city for approval for a teardown and rebuild the city was able to push for solid brick cladding and almost no EIFS (only on back of building).  Wish they could have done that here!

Also, I'm really worried about the garages.  They are so hideous.  They seem to be cladding the very bottoms of them in a dark red brick, but I can't tell if they plan to continue or just do the pedestrian level in brick.  Any ideas?  I'd hate for that to stay concrete.

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1097 on: December 15, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
They should just go ahead and change the name to The Banks North.
CINCINNATI: European charm at Midwest prices!

Offline jmicha

« Reply #1098 on: December 15, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
^^I can't seem to find them online anymore (I'll try looking again later) but the renderings of the elevations that used to be on the former construction fences showed something more than what is done with the garages at the moment. If I remember correctly it appeared to be some sort of metal mesh screen that covered most of it. I haven't seen anything in person though to show any sort of point of connection for this. Hopefully it comes to fruition because they are MASSIVE and characterless at the moment.

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
^Is this what you're looking for?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:34:33 PM by wholtone »

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1100 on: December 15, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »
Ugly garage is ugly. I didn't realize they were doing that. Boo.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #1101 on: December 16, 2012, 07:48:34 AM »
>Also, I'm really worried about the garages.  They are so hideous. 

Drive on WM H Taft over by Euclid/Auburn and look across the dip.  The garage towers above the Shell station.  What a total disaster.

Offline jmicha

« Reply #1102 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
^Is this what you're looking for?

Yep, thanks.

Although certainly not this super amazing, attractive thing, there appears to be at least enough going on that they won't feel quite as monstrous when finished. I have literally no idea what those red panels actually are, but they could possibly be somewhat interesting. Hopefully haha.

I still abide my my hopes/dreams that some developer will buy the Shell station and build an apartment building there that completely blocks out the garage. If that happens all will feel right again from the East.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #1103 on: December 16, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
^ we can only hope. Should be noted however, that might take awhile. Developer owns several more acres along Vine between Calhoun & McMillan which extends all the way past Scioto St. They would likely develop that before buying more property. Also, the shell would've pretty expensive as its one of the only gas stations in uptown.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:19:24 PM by CincyGuy45202 »

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1104 on: December 17, 2012, 12:07:59 AM »
The garage towers above the Shell station.  What a total disaster.

I agree. I was very disappointed with the way that looks.

I have literally no idea what those red panels actually are, but they could possibly be somewhat interesting. Hopefully haha.

Seems kind of a waste if it's just a red square. I wonder if they're something like what the Moerlein Lagerhouse has on its building, but UC related?

Offline jmicha

« Reply #1105 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:19 AM »
^That would be an interesting idea. They could change with whatever major is happening around UC. They'd certainly be fun and would help cover the garages at the same time.

Offline Yves Behar

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1106 on: December 17, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »
^That would be an interesting idea. They could change with whatever major is happening around UC. They'd certainly be fun and would help cover the garages at the same time.

I disagree, I think this would look EXTREMELY tacky.

Offline Yves Behar

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1107 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »
To add, I think they should cover each side with lattice work and let vines cover the walls.

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 665'-Queen City Square
    • Particularly Everything
Cincinnati: Clifton Heights: U Square @ the Loop
« Reply #1108 on: December 17, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »
To add, I think they should cover each side with lattice work and let vines cover the walls.

I like that.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1109 on: December 17, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
Maybe you arch folks have some insight into this -- when a building is three stories tall that's the max for not having to put an elevator in, right? And at six stories is when you have to put in a much more elaborate fire safety system in, correct (at least in Columbus that's how it is)? So that's why you don't see as many four story buildings built because you might as well do five if you're going to be spending $500,000+ on a couple elevators.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #1110 on: December 17, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
From my understanding, an elevator is required in all new multi-story construction (with a few exceptions). The difference between the 3-story and the 4-story is that the 4-story building requires more structural costs that significantly adds to the cost per square foot. 3-story and under are lighter buildings and can use cheaper structural support. Perhaps 4-story buildings require a second elevator, but I don't know about that.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Ram23

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #1111 on: December 17, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »
Requirements are actually pretty complicated, and numerous codes (state building code, local zoning code, ADA) apply for various reasons.

Basically, any new building that has two or more stories accessible to the public will need an elevator.  Notable exceptions are apartment buildings with 4 or fewer units, or buildings with upper/lower floors under 3000 square feet.  The number of elevators then typically depends on occupancy type and number of occupants.

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1112 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »

I disagree, I think this would look EXTREMELY tacky.

It's a giant parking garage. It's already tacky.

Offline jmicha

« Reply #1113 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
^This. I think if done right having banners can look fine and enhance a project. The ones on the Lager House are nice and add to that side of the building in my opinion. No reason these couldn't be the same if they were to go with that idea.

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1114 on: December 17, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
I thought maybe the red things were to provide some shading for the vehicles inside the garage, but they're also on the north side of both garages, and the sun will never get far enough north to shine into the garage at an angle. Since they're already putting the facade on the garages, I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #1115 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's just going to be some pointless metal mesh fence screen type thing that is a cheap, random, pointless way to "break up" the garage.

It's the cheap alternative to designing a decent looking garage, or just paying the brick the whole thing over.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:10:00 AM by CincyGuy45202 »

Offline wholtone

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1116 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
A few more pictures from today.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #1117 on: January 02, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Is that parking garage in the last photo going to have a facade? (I hope)
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #1118 on: January 02, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
This development hates America!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:13:44 AM by jmecklenborg »

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1119 on: January 02, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »
Is that parking garage in the last photo going to have a facade? (I hope)
That exact question wound up in the discussion that stretched this page.

Basically, no, it won't. But it might get some transparent red mesh-or-something panels which don't cover much of anything up.

Truly horrendous. The non-garage stuff is bad enough. CUF needs a community council with some balls. Now. So does Corryville, for that matter.

Remove Ads