Author Topic: Governor John Kasich  (Read 106706 times)

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
Re: Governor John Kasich
« Reply #1295 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
C'mon people, if you want to post an article criticizing Kasich, please post a link to something a little more credible, it's not hard. 

Um, these stories have all been reported in the Plain Dealer in the past few weeks/months.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/05/us_senate_candidate_josh_mande.html

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/05/post_37.html

See, I knew it wouldn't be hard

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #1296 on: June 05, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »
Fixing elections is a rather serious matter.

Offline cincySAL

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #1297 on: June 22, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but apparently you are in good hands if you played football at OSU:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/20/no-resume-needed.html

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #1298 on: June 22, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
One political crony taking the seat of another...

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1299 on: June 22, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Well, at least it wasn't Steve Bellisari. 

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Out of Place: a portrait of surfing in Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #1300 on: July 17, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
Kasich's lake protections are timely and wise

By The Plain Dealer Editorial Board

A high fin from the fish in Lake Erie to Gov. John Kasich, who signed an executive order Wednesday that bans oil and gas drilling in Lake Erie.

His action provides a welcome layer of protection should Congress lift its own ban on drilling in the Great Lakes, the largest freshwater ecosystem on the continent.

Kasich's order prohibits drilling not just in but also under Lake Erie, a distinction that could be important given the anticipated expansion in Ohio of horizontal drilling by companies fracturing the rock, or "fracking," for deeply buried shale oil and gas. It bars the Ohio Department of Natural Resources from issuing any permit, license or lease that allows the withdrawal or production of either oil or gas from, or under, the bed of Lake Erie.

cont
http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2012/07/kasichs_lake_protections_are_t.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1301 on: July 17, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »
Anyone been following the severance tax issue?  I'm not exactly a Kasich fan, but he seems like the voice of pure reason compared to the insanity that is the GOP leadership in the state legislature.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/drilling/ohio-utica-shale-1.291290/kasich-drillers-spar-over-new-ohio-severance-tax-1.320043
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #1302 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Kasich is a hardhead..... but that appears to be a good thing because he has no issues with breaking party lines.  It's almost like his ego won't let him be controlled by TPTB within the GOP.  I find myself agreeing with him much, much more than I thought I would when he was elected.  If polled, I would be on the "approve" side for as far as the job he is doing as Governor.
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg - Thomas Jefferson

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1303 on: July 17, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
Kasich is a hardhead..... but that appears to be a good thing because he has no issues with breaking party lines.  It's almost like his ego won't let him be controlled by TPTB within the GOP.  I find myself agreeing with him much, much more than I thought I would when he was elected.  If polled, I would be on the "approve" side for as far as the job he is doing as Governor.

If Strickland had Kasich's determination (and gall)  I honestly believe he'd still be governor and we'd have 3C rail.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1304 on: July 17, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
Nice guys finish last in politics these days. Just don't cheat on your wife.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl.
« Reply #1305 on: July 31, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

If Strickland had Kasich's determination (and gall)  I honestly believe he'd still be governor and we'd have 3C rail.

If Strickland had distanced himself from Obama, he'd still be governor.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  Those who can are condemned to get pist off watching the forgetful repeat it.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1306 on: August 01, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »

If Strickland had distanced himself from Obama, he'd still be governor.

I don't know, a lot of it is about timing, too.  Strickland benefited from running in 2006 (as opposed to 2002 or 2004 if the election had been that year) and was punished for being a Democrat in 2010.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1307 on: August 01, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
Exactly. Obama didn't magically turn things into 1997 in those two years, so out the Democrats went.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #1308 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »

Same here.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #1309 on: September 07, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
This is a long read, but a very good article, I still hate Kasich and this article hits a lot of the points as to why (Cincinnati streetcar not included!)

Did Barack Obama Save Ohio?
The New York Times By MATT BAI
Published: September 5, 2012

The way John Kasich sees it, he is fulfilling a grand design, a mission for which he was chosen by God, to save Ohio. “It’s like what what’s-his-name told the hobbit,” Ohio’s Republican governor told me as we flew on the plane that ferries him around the state. “What’s that guy’s name? Gandel? Gandorf?” A pair of young aides seated across from Kasich called out helpfully over the drone of the engine. “Gandalf,” Kasich repeated. “Do you remember what he told the hobbit?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/magazine/ohio-economy.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:57:38 AM by The_Cincinnati_Kid »
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1310 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
This is a long read, but a very good article, I still hate Kasich and this article hits a lot of the points as to why (Cincinnati streetcar not included!)

The way John Kasich sees it, he is fulfilling a grand design, a mission for which he was chosen by God, to save Ohio. “It’s like what what’s-his-name told the hobbit,” Ohio’s Republican governor told me as we flew on the plane that ferries him around the state. “What’s that guy’s name? Gandel? Gandorf?” A pair of young aides seated across from Kasich called out helpfully over the drone of the engine. “Gandalf,” Kasich repeated. “Do you remember what he told the hobbit?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/magazine/ohio-economy.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

Fascinating article, on several levels. It really highlighted so many unanswered questions. I had to laugh hearing Kasich compare economists to astrologists. Actually, I'm betting astrologers have more of a handle on their trade in comparison.

I've personally grown exhausted/bored by the whole R vs. D political paradigm. I understand it, but I've shed my past, nostalgic allegiances and I feel better.

Offline FakeCinEnquirer

• 947'-Key Tower
  • www.twitter.com/fakeenquirer
    • Fake Cincinnati Enquirer
« Reply #1311 on: September 07, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »

So, according to the following republicans in the last 12 months, God has chosen them specifically

A) John Kasich
B) Michelle Bachmann
C) Rick Perry
D) Rick Santorum
E) Herman Cain

Yikes.  Serious red flags go off in my head anytime I hear someone say they were 'chosen by God'. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:59:16 PM by FakeCinEnquirer »

Offline DeanSheen

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #1312 on: September 07, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
That was a long and interesting read. 

I'm glad the author dug into the JobsOhio debacle.  Crony Capitalism involving large transfers of wealth to limited numbers of individuals is at it's very worst when the public coffers are being raided and redistributed.

Yeah, they built that.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1313 on: September 07, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
^^hey, at least they didn't kick God off the party platform :wtf: and then clumsily (and rather unconvincingly :wink2:) attempt to invite him back in! lol
Isn't that Special.mpg.FLV

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #1314 on: September 07, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
^Him?  You sexist  :evil:
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DeanSheen

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #1315 on: September 07, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
^^hey, at least they didn't kick God off the party platform :wtf: and then clumsily (and rather unconvincingly :wink2:) attempt to invite him back in! lol

Huh?

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1316 on: September 07, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »

Huh?

Ted Strickland (aka NYT Kasich article comedy relief) had a major role in this.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/05/convention-floor-chaos-democrats-alter-platform-disagree/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:07:40 PM by surfohio »

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1317 on: October 03, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
Anybody else catch Strickland and Kasich on 90.3 this morning talking about Ohio's role in the election?They both said that Ohio basically is a microcosm of the US as a whole. Strickland was first, and tooted his and the POTUS's horn saying that the recovery in Ohio started even before he left office. When the mod got Kasich on the line and  later asked Kasich about it he had a very gruff no comment answer. It was very odd and un- politician like. Kasich had some good things to say about diversifying Ohio's economy.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:29:12 AM by CBC »
"Yes, UO, you're my dirty little mistress."-AJ93

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #1318 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
Mark Kvamme steps down from JobsOhio post
Business Courier by Dan Monk, Senior Staff Reporter
Date: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 2:43pm EDT - Last Modified: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:13am EDT

The California venture capitalist who started the JobsOhio economic development program in Ohio today announced he would return to the private sector by Nov. 1.

Mark Kvamme will be replaced by John Minor, one of JobsOhio’s managing directors, who will assume Kvamme’s title of president and chief investment officer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2012/10/mark-kvamme-steps-down-from-jobsohio.html

"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1319 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »
Anybody else catch Strickland and Kasich on 90.3 this morning talking about Ohio's role in the election?They both said that Ohio basically is a microcosm of the US as a whole. Strickland was first, and tooted his and the POTUS's horn saying that the recovery in Ohio started even before he left office. When the mod got Kasich on the line and  later asked Kasich about it he had a very gruff no comment answer. It was very odd and un- politician like. Kasich had some good things to say about diversifying Ohio's economy.

Any chance that's posted online?
CINCINNATI: European charm at Midwest prices!

Offline Boreas

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • The wooden shoe conspiracy
« Reply #1320 on: November 05, 2012, 06:55:24 AM »
Cleveland: all the cultural attractions of Traverse City, without the biting flies

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1321 on: December 04, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
Please help this along Governor K:

Kasich spokesman Rob Nichols sounds encouraging but not specific. "The sooner we can transition back to local operation of these local resources the better for everyone," he said. "That needs to happen in a way that makes the most sense for all Ohioans, and we're optimistic that we'll find that solution."

State officials must not let the future of Cleveland's lakefront parks become our fiscal 'sea' cliff

Updated: Tuesday, December 04, 2012, 8:14 AM
By Mark Naymik, The Plain Dealer

It's time for Ohio to give up management of the Cleveland's lakefront parks, which include Edgewater and Euclid Beach.

The Cleveland Metroparks is in the strongest position to run them. As my colleague James Ewinger outlined in a recent story, the Metroparks has been studying exactly what it will take to improve maintenance, upgrade amenities, increase the number of users and keep the parks safe.

To its credit, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, which manages a half-dozen city lakefront parks, wants to unload them.

Yet, negotiations keep spinning around money, making this debate Ohio's fiscal sea cliff.

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2012/12/state_officials_must_not_let_t.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:41:00 AM by surfohio »

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1322 on: December 19, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
Mr Kasich has done it again. Nation attention too. Giving a murderer clemency, because he's too fat for an injection.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #1323 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »
Mr Kasich has done it again. Nation attention too. Giving a murderer clemency, because he's too fat for an injection.

No - from http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/19/pardon-from-kasich-is-rare.html --

"Gov. John Kasich has used his executive clemency power moderately during his 16 months in office, sparing the lives of two convicted killers but approving only 5 percent of other requests."

[...]

"Kasich has done far better than his predecessor, Ted Strickland, in keeping up with clemency requests.
Strickland made no decisions for nearly three years in office and rushed to complete hundreds of cases in his last few months as governor.
In 412 clemency requests decided thus far, Kasich released no one from prison."

For the record --

* Strickland (D) approved 20% of 1,615 cases from 2005-2010. Most pardons were for low-level, non-violent offenders. He also spared the lives of convicted killers.
* Celeste (D) granted just 67 clemencies before 1991. Nulled 8 death sentences, shortened prison time for 26 female inmates who were victims of battered-woman syndrome.
* Taft (R) approved <10% of the cases.
* Voinovich (R) approved <10% of the cases.
* Rhodes (R) approved 56/320 cases, or 17.5%, in 1982.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer (before it went to archive), noted that Kasich granted clemency based not on his weight, but from questions regarding the trial, mirroring the statements made from the parole board.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1324 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »

Maybe sentence him to a life sentence of 800 calories per day?

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #1325 on: December 22, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »
haha i think you are supposed to get 2k calories/day to live!

i never heard of this case until i looked it up. what a guy.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1326 on: December 27, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
I want to say 2k is just the Surgeon General's recommendation, and there are actually a lot of people who live on less (though even more people who live on more, with most of it being complete junk).  I actually don't know what the threshold for starvation is, but it's well below 2k.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1327 on: December 29, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
The average American eats 3770 calories per day according to this chart: http://chartsbin.com/view/1150. Notice that those slender Euros aren't really that far behind us -- that walkabilty and lower stress levels that they have over there must be helping.

Offline TBideon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1328 on: December 29, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
Substantially healthier foods too.

Offline KyleCincy

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #1329 on: January 25, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
Any chance Kasich & others can work with Gee to sneak UC into the Big Ten?

Remove Ads