Author Topic: Cleveland: Opportunity Corridor Boulevard  (Read 158532 times)

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Cleveland: Opportunity Corridor Boulevard
« Reply #630 on: September 20, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
So we should build more roads so that we create those kinds of problems?
If you find yourself angry at people lower on the economic ladder than you, you are being manipulated by people higher on the economic ladder than you.

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #631 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
I think you're arguing for the sake of argument.  This is essentially a dead area of the city that is contaminated, underutilized, and in dire need of new development.  The new Opportunity Corridor can buy out those people, clean up the land, create new development, all while curing one of the worst traffic backups in the city.  The new Land Bank already owns a good amount of the property here, why not give it a chance to add more parcels and really create an area within the city that can get some new life breathed back into it?  None of the cleanup or buying out the current residents is ever going to happen if left to the forces of the normal market or private investment.

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #632 on: September 20, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
There are benefits to this project other than increasing road travel connection to UC from the west side.
The "forgotten triangle" industrial areas could be poised for a rebirth for medical device manufacturing.  The new road will halp with transportation in and out, but also it will rememdy the brownfield areas the road goes through. 

Also, it is not a freeway.  If it were a freeway, I would be against it.  This is a new boulevard that will connect this area to the largest empoyment area in the state.  I can't think of any way the areas around the new road would not benefit from having it built.
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #633 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
I am not against the road, but I do wish the Red Line could be rerouted down the middle (like Shaker Blvd.).

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #634 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
I get all that. But census maps show that only 25-50 percent of the homes in the surrounding neighborhoods have a car available to them. So let's not kid ourselves who this project is intended to benefit. It's for the suburbanites to turn a since-vacated urban neighborhood that was built around walking and streetcars into something they can use by re-making it more like suburbia. And the only reason why this neighborhood was rendered prematurely obsolete is because we in Ohio would rather spend our tax dollars abandoning our historic walking/transit neighborhoods for new auto-centric suburbs. But our version of getting "urban religion" and attempting "to do the right thing" by helping the city is to remake the city we abandoned in the image of the suburbs.

I realize this won't be a freeway. It will be Chester Part II but with 50+ mph cars (OCB's speed limit will be 45). And I sure do love that urbanity and pedestrianism along Chester <<sarcasm>>.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:29:18 PM by KJP »
If you find yourself angry at people lower on the economic ladder than you, you are being manipulated by people higher on the economic ladder than you.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #635 on: September 20, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
To build a little consensus here...

I am resigned that OC is happening and that it won't include a re-routed red line.  However, even so, this area is and will be incredibly well served by our rail transit system and there is still opportunity to make sure that these stations are not completely forgotten about when the road is designed.  This means planning for a decent pedestrian environment along the OC and intersecting roads and designing crossable intersections, both to serve existing residents and also employees of future development.  If there really is a development bloom in this area, it should end up helping red line ridership.

I think 45 mph would be a mistake though.  The time savings this route will provide has very little to do with max speed- it's much more about traffic lights.  I'd cap it at 35 with the understanding that people will drive 45.  We're talking curb cuts for parking lots and some intersections in an urban area, so I'm not sure we want people driving over 50mph.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:50:48 PM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #636 on: September 20, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
Strap, I'm also resigned to the fact this road will get built but that the Red Line will be ignored, marginalized and ultimately abandoned. This boulevard and the rail transit system could have been redesigned together to sow the seeds for a revitalized neighborhood that can be enjoyed by suburbanites and city dwellers alike. I just don't see that happening. Ironically, ODOT was interested in including the rail line in the design but RTA was not because Calabrese didn't think RTA could afford the local share of costs for relocating the rail line. So ODOT left the rail line out of the options.

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #637 on: October 06, 2010, 12:35:01 AM »
Not a very highly attended meeting...maybe it's a correlation to the population...;)

Cleveland's proposed Opportunity Corridor generates anxiety and hope at East Side meeting
Published: Wednesday, October 06, 2010, 12:01 AM
 Tom Breckenridge, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- East Side residents had a mix of emotions -- fear battling hope, mostly -- as they eyeballed future routes for the proposed Opportunity Corridor on Tuesday night.

About 50 residents and officials gathered at Mount Sinai Baptist Church on Woodland Avenue to view plans and comment on the planned 2 3/4-mile boulevard that would link Interstate 490 at East 55th Street with University Circle.

Business and elected leaders, including Mayor Frank Jackson, support the project as a way to move traffic more efficiently to University Circle, while spurring development in the struggling neighborhoods of Slavic Village, Kinsman, Fairfax and Buckeye.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/10/clevelands_proposed_opportunit.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #638 on: October 06, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
Not a very highly attended meeting...maybe it's a correlation to the population...;)

More likely, it's a factor of distrust or even helplessness. Considering how many times they've been pushed out of the way, I can understand if they believe the powers-that-be still couldn't care less what they think.

Online Hootenany

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #639 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
Are the costs of the OC a good point of comparison to the 3C?  Last I heard the OC was projected to cost $300-400 million for a 2 3/4 mile road.  Are these figures current?  Some people need a class on real transportation costs and the OC vs. 3C could be their first lesson.

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #640 on: October 06, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Careful, you're developing a context. That's frowned upon in Ohio.

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #641 on: July 18, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Opportunity Corridor's latest alignment would uproot more than 90 families, a dozen businesses
Updated: Monday, July 18, 2011, 7:34 AM
 By Tom Breckenridge, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- More than 90 families and a dozen businesses would be uprooted to make way for Opportunity Corridor, the boulevard that would link Interstate 490 and University Circle through the city's poorest neighborhoods.

After two years of study, planners for the city and ODOT have unveiled a preferred route that curves 2 3/4 miles, creates a half dozen intersections and makes way for expansion plans at Orlando Baking Co. and Miceli Dairy Products.

A committee of transportation, business and neighborhood leaders recently endorsed the 35 mph route's path.

READ MORE AT:
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/07/post_498.html

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #642 on: July 25, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the plans (within the context of this thing getting built w/o a relocated rapid ROW).

Still way, way in the future, though, so I could imagine the plans changing:

Once a consensus is reached, construction would start no sooner than 2016 -- if funding can be found, officials said.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Online Oldmanladyluck

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #643 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
Amazing that even more demolitions would need to occur- with the amount of land which has ALREADY been cleared in the corridor.  Take a trip through there if you can- you'll feel like you're in the country when you're actually near the center of the city.
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #644 on: July 25, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »
^I meant to say something about that in my post.  From the article, sounds like the big increase in demos is in St. Hyacinth as a result of the favored "quadrant roadway" option.  It's kind of a catch-22... this pattern would prevent the need for an at-grade intersection b/w 55th Street and the OC/490, improving access to the new Red Line station....but it would also destroy a significant chunk of the neighborhood that would benefit most from this access.  Would seem a lot better to put the quadrant roadway on the west side of 55th street, but maybe they explored that and it wouldn't work.

Also, I'm not quite sure I understand the potential pedestrian bridge to the new Red Line station the article mentions.  Would it somehow connect the station to the part of the neighborhood that's east of the proposed quadrant roadway?

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #645 on: November 26, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Opportunity Corridor in Cleveland: Whatever happened to ...?
 By Tom Breckenridge, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer
on November 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM, updated November 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM Print 

Whatever happened to Opportunity Corridor, the proposed boulevard between Interstate 490 and University Circle?

ODOT and roadway advocates are studying ways to pay for the long-sought project, which has no short-term prospects for funding.

Preliminary engineering continues on the 2¾-mile route. ODOT says much of the route needs to be one lane wider than originally proposed to handle the morning rush hour.

The 35 mph boulevard, estimated last year to cost $220 million, would move thousands of commuters and visitors from south and west of Cleveland more quickly to the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, as well as the educational and cultural institutions in University Circle.

Just as important, advocates say, is the road's potential to spur development in downtrodden neighborhoods, including parts of Central, Slavic Village, Kinsman, Fairfax and Buckeye.

Business and community leaders say the project is a top priority. ODOT has spent $4.5 million on preliminary engineering and committed $11 million more in 2014 for detailed design.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/11/opportunity_corridor_in_clevel.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #646 on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »
Has an alternatives analysis been conducted for that rush hour lane? If you need one lane each way just for rush hour, then maybe you shouldn't build it because it will be the biggest money loser one can imagine....

"Construction costs for adding lanes in urban areas average $10–$15 million per lane mile. In general, the funding for this type of construction comes from taxes that drivers pay when buying gas for their vehicles. Overall, funds generated from gas taxes on an added lane during rush hours amount to only $60,000 a year (based on 10,000 vehicles per day during rush hours, paying fuel taxes amounting to about 2 cents per mile). This amount is grossly insufficient to pay for the lane addition."

SOURCE: http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop08039/cp_prim1_02.htm

Online freethink

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #647 on: January 02, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »
In case you haven't been there lately go visit the Opportunity Cooridor page at
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/ClevelandUrbanCoreProjects/OpportunityCorridor/Pages/default.aspx   
On the front page go to Fall 2012 Project Updates  you will see three fairly recent pdf's that have been added. The fall newsletter has some good information and the aerial photos give a good indication of what we are dealing with. 
This is the proposed route:
live small  dream big

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #648 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »
While far from perfect, it is turning out somewhat better than I expected.

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #649 on: January 02, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
For concers that it would be an expressway, I count 13 traffic lights
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Online Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #650 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:09 AM »
That's a huge improvement over some of what we were hearing early on, but I still don't trust ODOT not to screw it up.
Occasionally known as Grumpy.

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #651 on: January 02, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
That's going to be a massively expensive project.  The required demolition, sitework, paving, roadway, sidewalks, all those bridges to build, lighting, signalization, landscaping...  I'm sure it'll go out in phases but I'll put the total cost at $100 million or more

Online gotribe

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #652 on: January 02, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
For a road with 16 traffic lights, I don't see how it's going to be very effective.  At that rate, I can get off at 55th, go down the desolate Quincy and cut up to Cedar quicker than this road would be...

Offline BuckeyeB

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • We Don't Need No Stinkin' Avatar
« Reply #653 on: January 02, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »

Whatever happened to Opportunity Corridor, the proposed boulevard between Interstate 490 and University Circle?

ODOT and roadway advocates are studying ways to pay for the long-sought project, which has no short-term prospects for funding.

Preliminary engineering continues on the 2¾-mile route. ODOT says much of the route needs to be one lane wider than originally proposed to handle the morning rush hour.

The 35 mph boulevard, estimated last year to cost $220 million, would move thousands of commuters and visitors from south and west of Cleveland more quickly to the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, as well as the educational and cultural institutions in University Circle.

Just as important, advocates say, is the road's potential to spur development in downtrodden neighborhoods, including parts of Central, Slavic Village, Kinsman, Fairfax and Buckeye.

Business and community leaders say the project is a top priority. ODOT has spent $4.5 million on preliminary engineering and committed $11 million more in 2014 for detailed design.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/11/opportunity_corridor_in_clevel.html

Wait a minute: $220 million for a 2-3/4 mile boulevard??? How about $220 million in transit improvements for the same area? Why do we seem to always default to more roads??? This in an area where up to 25% of residents do not own a motor vehicle.

Notice also that this road parallels the RTA Red LIne. Now what do you suppose the effect on RTA's ridership will be? Hmmm...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:44:42 AM by BuckeyeB »
“Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power.” Benito Mussolini

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #654 on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
a waist of money
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Online Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #655 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
For a road with 16 traffic lights, I don't see how it's going to be very effective.  At that rate, I can get off at 55th, go down the desolate Quincy and cut up to Cedar quicker than this road would be...
If the lights are timed properly it might be competitive time wise.

Wait a minute: $220 million for a 2-3/4 mile boulevard??? How about $220 million in transit improvements for the same area? Why do we seem to always default to more roads???
That area could use $220 million in many many ways and roads wouldn't be my first choice, but it already has plenty of transit relative to its population. Now, improving the rapid stations and building some TOD would be a good use of funds, but if you're advocating spending that much on transit, I'm curious in what way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:45:58 AM by Keith »

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Clevelander back in Cleveland
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #656 on: January 02, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »

Wait a minute: $220 million for a 2-3/4 mile boulevard??? How about $220 million in transit improvements for the same area? Why do we seem to always default to more roads??? This in an area where up to 25% of residents do not own a motor vehicle.

Notice also that this road parallels the RTA Red LIne. Now what do you suppose the effect on RTA's ridership will be? Hmmm...

But the construction of the Opp. Corr. has nothing to do with the residents of the area and was never claimed to have been for their use.  Nor, would its construction compete with the rapid transit that currently exists (the expected users of the corridor is not the same population that has the option of using the the rapid).
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline MidwestChamp

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #657 on: January 02, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
^Agreed.  This is built for people who work in University Circle but live south and west of Cleveland, not for residents in this area or for current rapid riders.  At present people coming from the south and west can only take congested freeways all the way downtown on the innerbelt and exit Chester and Carnegie, which also back up during rush hour, particularly Carnegie at the Clinic.  When this road is complete these people can bypass downtown and the crowded innerbelt and hop on little used 490 and get to 90 west, or 77, 71, 176 South.  This road is about an easier commute for these folks.

With that said the adjacent communities brought into this idea on the promise that an efficient road that will be highly visible and traveled will attract Euclid-esque development along it.  Ideally once this thing really gets built hopefully Euclid through Midtown will already be built out with new development creating demand for some TOD to occur between this route and the red line.  That for me would create a win-win.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:22:47 AM by MidwestChamp »

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Clevelander back in Cleveland
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #658 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Well its also about opening up this desolate area to the expected spin off companies from Clevelands medical sector etc.  The reality of the situation dictates that the current state of these areas do not support it remaining a residential area, at least not in its current or past form.  Nor can the city afford to maintain it that way.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:34:23 AM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl.
« Reply #659 on: January 02, 2013, 12:17:12 PM »
What's the logic of narrowing between 93rd and Frank?
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  Those who can are condemned to get pist off watching the forgetful repeat it.

Online Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #660 on: January 02, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
What's the logic of narrowing between 93rd and Frank?
Probably because the clinic traffic will take 93rd while the rest of the UC traffic continues to 105th.

Online eyehrtfood

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #661 on: January 02, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
Would this road not be going through some of Cleveland's worst neighborhoods? Is there any potential safety issue to think about in the planning?

Offline Mendo

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #662 on: January 02, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Why not encourage people to move closer to UC, rather than just making it easier to get in and out of town? Hasn't that been a major problem in this town?

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #663 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »
Would this road not be going through some of Cleveland's worst neighborhoods? Is there any potential safety issue to think about in the planning?

Worst as in dead? Yes. Worst as in crime? No.

There is not much going on here so the crime is not as bad as one would probably expect. Southeast neighborhoods seem to be the worst.

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
Why not encourage people to move closer to UC, rather than just making it easier to get in and out of town? Hasn't that been a major problem in this town?

I was also wondering this. Could this also hurt Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, making the jobs in UC more accesible from west side suburbs.

Remove Ads