Poll

President Obama: How has he done so far?

I voted for him and I am generally satisfied.
78 (58.6%)
I voted for him and I am generally disatisfied.
21 (15.8%)
I didn't vote for him and I am generally satisfied.
6 (4.5%)
I didn't vote for him and I am generally disatisfied.
28 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: The Obama Presidency  (Read 471259 times)

Offline Boreas

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • The wooden shoe conspiracy
Re: The Obama Presidency
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and their wives, Michelle Obama and Jill Biden, wave as a helicopter carrying former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, leaves the Capitol following the inauguration ceremony Tuesday.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/01/20/obama_inaugural/
...excerpt...
For Bush, sitting right behind Obama throughout, the speech might have been uncomfortable (though he says he doesn't dwell too much on what people say about him). A lot of the text was a blunt repudiation of Bush's legacy. "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals," Obama said.
...end excerpt...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:45:05 PM by kingfish out of water »
Cleveland: all the cultural attractions of Traverse City, without the biting flies

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
face it, during his reign the elections were the most controversial of all time

False.  Check out the elections of John Quincy Adams and Rutherford B. Hayes for example.  Those make the arguments over the 2000 election look like a friendly chat.  I disagree with most of your other points, but I don't want to start a flame war over this.  Just wanted to point out some of our early controversial elections.  Most people don't know much about them, but they're really fascinating.

I agree with j3shafer.  People should be judged by their ACTIONS, and since Obama hasn't spent even one day in office yet, that it's ridiculous to prejudge him positively or negatively.  Can't we at least give the guy as few weeks in office before deciding if he's the best/worst thing ever?

ok i'll amend that to "our" time. i dont recall anything about those elections at the moment, but i'll take your word. however....you seem to forget dubya had TWO of the most controversial of all time. one is bad enough, but freakin 2 is very suspicious. so i think that more than trumps any fishing for individuals in the old presidential close elections barrel.

btw don't take everyone who hates bush's dispicable presidency as goo-goo eyed obamagirl types. i dont even know who that obama guy is. few really do. he's a cypher. sure it's history and he seems nice enough, i wish him luck. as you say, we'll see.

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »

False.  Check out the elections of John Quincy Adams and Rutherford B. Hayes for example.  Those make the arguments over the 2000 election look like a friendly chat.  I disagree with most of your other points, but I don't want to start a flame war over this.  Just wanted to point out some of our early controversial elections.  Most people don't know much about them, but they're really fascinating.

I agree with j3shafer.  People should be judged by their ACTIONS, and since Obama hasn't spent even one day in office yet, that it's ridiculous to prejudge him positively or negatively.  Can't we at least give the guy as few weeks in office before deciding if he's the best/worst thing ever?

ok i'll amend that to "our" time. i dont recall anything about those elections at the moment, but i'll take your word. however....you seem to forget dubya had TWO of the most controversial of all time. one is bad enough, but freakin 2 is very suspicious. so i think that more than trumps any fishing for individuals in the old presidential close elections barrel.

btw don't take everyone who hates bush's dispicable presidency as goo-goo eyed obamagirl types. i dont even know who that obama guy is. few really do. he's a cypher. sure it's history and he seems nice enough, i wish him luck. as you say, we'll see.

Two?

2004 was completely legit. In fact, it was over rather early if I recall.

But I'm to agree on that who and what Obama is, good or bad, still unknown.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:29:22 PM by j3shafer »
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
>People were cheering at work today - pretty euthoric mood overall.

Euthoric is not a word.  But today my boss did bring in a celebratory cheese cake and someone was smoking pot in the 5th floor bathroom.   

I think the formation of the Department of Homeland Security was totally stupid, considering there is already the CIA, FBI, US Marshals, ATF, Coast Guard, etc.  There's no reason why the duties being performed by the Department of Homeland Security can't be happening under the auspices of one of those existing agencies.  It's an expansion of government that will eventually just be another ego-driven agency that will fight for the limelight with the others. 

I also think the No Child Left Behind Act was stupid because I don't believe that standardized testing has much value and that individual school districts should be able to set their own standards.  It discourages the kind of experimentation that is responsible for the eclectic character of the educational landscape.  At least the private schools are off the hook and free to continue as they please. 

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
>People were cheering at work today - pretty euthoric mood overall.

Euthoric is not a word.  But today my boss did bring in a celebratory cheese cake and someone was smoking pot in the 5th floor bathroom.   

I think the formation of the Department of Homeland Security was totally stupid, considering there is already the CIA, FBI, US Marshals, ATF, Coast Guard, etc.  There's no reason why the duties being performed by the Department of Homeland Security can't be happening under the auspices of one of those existing agencies.  It's an expansion of government that will eventually just be another ego-driven agency that will fight for the limelight with the others. 

I also think the No Child Left Behind Act was stupid because I don't believe that standardized testing has much value and that individual school districts should be able to set their own standards.  It discourages the kind of experimentation that is responsible for the eclectic character of the educational landscape.  At least the private schools are off the hook and free to continue as they please. 

Don't agree with everything you said but I've gotta go with you on the standardized testing.
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
if he does 1/2 what I hope he will we will be in good shape.  I am the biggest sceptic of all things, but the speech was beautiful and made be proud of my heritage and hopeful for our future.

I abhor standardized testing too, BTW

Offline freethink

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »
Today I am just so happy that this lloonngg national nightmare is over. The 8 years of lies and deceit, the embarrassing leaders that created the most secretive White House in history. Today even despite this continued bleak weather and the uncertain future, things are definitely brighter. :clap:
live small  dream big

Offline Jeffrey

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
My coworkers where sort of depressed as they are a bunch of right wing xtians.

But seeing Dick Cheney in a wheelchair.  He remined me of Mr Potter in Its A Wonderfull Life. 
Friends to Save the Arcade...stay informed via the website of the grassroots movement to save the Dayton Arcade.

Offline Jeffrey

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2009, 09:38:43 PM »
and because Palin was an unconscionable choice by McCain to appeal to right wing wackos and disfranchised Hillary voters.  While Bush may have been ignorant, Palin was malevolent

You put into words my feelings about Palin.  I dont think Bush was that ignorant, as he did have an Ivy League education and was a fighter pilot, so no...but he wasnt up to the job and had bad adivce, too, I think....

Friends to Save the Arcade...stay informed via the website of the grassroots movement to save the Dayton Arcade.

Offline freethink

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
^^lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:40:31 PM by freethink »
live small  dream big

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »
Disgraced former president Bush looked like a petulant child when CNN cut to his image during President Obama's inaugural speech today.  To his credit, during his last weeks he was trying to burnish his image and did not do anything heinously dickish.  There are still 22 more chances for him not to go down in history as the worst president of this century.

"petulant child"? I guess he was just a little dismayed by the heckling from all the classy spectators who haven't recovered from their Bush Derangement Syndrome or didn't get the message that this was supposed to be a new era of "unity." lol! whatever. Then again, Obama's image was "burnished" months before he even won the election. Go figure.  But I'll certainly give him his due, at least for the time being. Who knows, maybe four years from now (or maybe eight, if he's lucky) I may even have the utmost respect for him. He may actually prove himself worthy of the office if, like George Bush, he can match his stellar record of having kept the country safe from a second terrorist attack for 7+ years! Time will tell. In the meantime, there's a lot more partying to do; but ready for the hangover...

Offline kingfish out of water

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Ranked Among the Top Four Forumers of *2007*
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
I don't know if anybody else noticed, but it appeared to me that Cheney's wheelchair had been modified to fire missiles.
"...capitalism is perfectly legit in the medical profession."
-- A fellow UO forumer

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »

But seeing Dick Cheney in a wheelchair.  He remined me of Mr Potter in Its A Wonderfull Life. 
wow scary true

Offline Eighth and State

• Global Moderator
  • Mill Creek Yacht Club
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »
Yay for George W Bush! He survived Tecumseh's Curse.

Just a happy thought for inauguration day.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
^ and that reminded me of karma.

and i hate that west coast hippie sh!te!  :laugh:

Two?

2004 was completely legit. In fact, it was over rather early if I recall.

But I'm to agree on that who and what Obama is, good or bad, still unknown.

sure, you can bet your diebold stock it was!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:24:03 PM by mrnyc »
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2009, 10:53:19 PM »
He may actually prove himself worthy of the office if, like George Bush, he can match his stellar record of having kept the country safe from a second terrorist attack for 7+ years!

What an odd yardstick!  Which 7 years would you like him to keep the country safe?

Offline kingfish out of water

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Ranked Among the Top Four Forumers of *2007*
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
Disgraced former president Bush looked like a petulant child when CNN cut to his image during President Obama's inaugural speech today.  To his credit, during his last weeks he was trying to burnish his image and did not do anything heinously dickish.  There are still 22 more chances for him not to go down in history as the worst president of this century.

"petulant child"? I guess he was just a little dismayed by the heckling from all the classy spectators who haven't recovered from their Bush Derangement Syndrome or didn't get the message that this was supposed to be a new era of "unity." lol! whatever. Then again, Obama's image was "burnished" months before he even won the election. Go figure.  But I'll certainly give him his due, at least for the time being. Who knows, maybe four years from now (or maybe eight, if he's lucky) I may even have the utmost respect for him. He may actually prove himself worthy of the office if, like George Bush, he can match his stellar record of having kept the country safe from a second terrorist attack for 7+ years! Time will tell. In the meantime, there's a lot more partying to do; but ready for the hangover...

Did it ever occur to you the terrorists were merely sitting back and letting Bush finish the job?
"...capitalism is perfectly legit in the medical profession."
-- A fellow UO forumer

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »
Yay for George W Bush! He survived Tecumseh's Curse.

Just a happy thought for inauguration day.

LOL!  Wow, I completely forgot about that.  That's great.
"It is not a trolley."  -Milton Dohoney, Cincinnati City Manager

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55:56 PM »
Did it ever occur to you the terrorists were merely sitting back and letting Bush finish the job?

What motivation would they have for that?

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »
Right about this time tomorrow Obama will be briefed on our relationship with extraterrestrials and the fate of the cosmos, as we know it, will rest in his lap.  He'll also have to act like he doesn't know the whereabouts of Elvis/Hitler/Bigfoot/Jimmy Hoffa.

Am I the only one who think Michelle Obama's white feathery dress references Bjork's infamous swan dress?  Seriously, the woman's sense of style is simply frumpy, and that that's coming from a jeans & sweatshirt guy. 

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2009, 12:47:37 AM »
Seriously, the woman's sense of style is simply frumpy, and that that's coming from a jeans & sweatshirt guy. 

She's a giant Amazon woman. Probably not much selection in the Big and Tall.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2009, 01:04:53 AM »
She's a giant Amazon woman. Probably not much selection in the Big and Tall.

Well she's the first lady now. If she can't get a tailor, there's a serious problem.  :-D

Right about this time tomorrow Obama will be briefed on our relationship with extraterrestrials and the fate of the cosmos, as we know it, will rest in his lap.  He'll also have to act like he doesn't know the whereabouts of Elvis/Hitler/Bigfoot/Jimmy Hoffa.

LOL!  I always wonder what each President gets briefed on during his first few days, and if it changes his perception of his predecessor at all.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:05:27 AM by Jimmy_James »

Offline Boreas

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2009, 07:03:09 AM »
There's no hero worship, naw

ST JOHN'S, Antigua Antigua plans to give the new U.S. president its "top" honor on his birthday: Renaming its tallest peak Mount Obama.

Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer says the Caribbean nation will rename Boggy Peak, as it is currently known, on Aug. 4 to mark President Barack Obama's 48th birthday.

He first announced the plan in November in a congratulatory letter to Obama but didn't say when it would happen. He revealed the date on Tuesday.

Spencer said he joined "people of color all over the world, and indeed all people" in celebrating Obama's inauguration ...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-01-20-antigua-mount-obama_N.htm?csp=34
Cleveland: all the cultural attractions of Traverse City, without the biting flies

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
He may actually prove himself worthy of the office if, like George Bush, he can match his stellar record of having kept the country safe from a second terrorist attack for 7+ years!

What an odd yardstick!  Which 7 years would you like him to keep the country safe?
agree. 7 years safe? what about the other year?

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
I don't recall any terrorist attacks under Warren G. Harding, so does that make him best ever?  Chester Arthur?  Lack of explosions is a pretty low bar.  If there's any blame to give Clinton for 9/11, then Bush is still on the hook for all the new terrorists his policies have created since then. 

Offline Hootenany

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
Does anyone else think that Obama seems a little worried about the unrealistically high expectations many of his supporters have for him?  The tone of his speeches changed dramatically after he won the election.  He now has a much more subdued tone and I feel like he's trying to bring everyone back down to earth so that in a couple months when the change isn't what people expected they don't have too bad of a hangover.

I was also a little upset to learn that Obama's Chief of Staff put a halt to further consideration of pending regulations from the Bush administration.  What happened to unity?  People are saying that this was an extremely smooth transition... then why does the incoming leadership need to freeze everything that the former leadership was working on?  Maybe I'm just upset by this because I find Rahm Emanuel to be cocky, combative, and extremely partisan.  I watched him on Meet the Press on Sunday and I was not impressed.

I was not an Obama supporter but I honestly hope and believe that he can do great things for this country.  Our nations image world wide is already changing for the better thanks solely to President Obama.  And now that the election is over and he's in office... Sarah Palin???  Honestly???  WTF were they thinking?

Offline TBideon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »
Do you guys think the Obama (not him directly but you know what I mean) should investigate Bush and his cronies for any number of their illegal and unethical acts or just let bygones be bygones.  I'm a little mixed.  On the one hand, we need to look forward and fix our country rather than be focused on grudges.  On the other hand, we didn't have to try war criminals after World War 2 either, but we did anyway and were right for doing so.

Offline Hootenany

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
Do you guys think the Obama (not him directly but you know what I mean) should investigate Bush and his cronies for any number of their illegal and unethical acts or just let bygones be bygones.  I'm a little mixed.  On the one hand, we need to look forward and fix our country rather than be focused on grudges.  On the other hand, we didn't have to try war criminals after World War 2 either, but we did anyway and were right for doing so.

Are you serious?  You're comparing the Bush presidency to WWII war criminals?  He made a few mistakes.  Good God, let it go people.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
War crimes were definitely committed and mostly under the direction and approval of guys like Rumsfeld and Cheney, but nothing will ever stick to them and it would IMO just be a waste of taxpayer money at this point to try to pin anything on them.

Offline Florida Guy

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
Am I the only one who think Michelle Obama's white feathery dress references Bjork's infamous swan dress?  Seriously, the woman's sense of style is simply frumpy, and that that's coming from a jeans & sweatshirt guy. 
But it still was a notch up....

Offline Hootenany

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »
War crimes were definitely committed and mostly under the direction and approval of guys like Rumsfeld and Cheney, but nothing will ever stick to them and it would IMO just be a waste of taxpayer money at this point to try to pin anything on them.

I would argue that every nation that is in a conflict commits some type of war crime or breaks some international law during the operation.  It is very difficult to control the actions of every soldier during a conflict, but the United States carries out the most ethical, law abiding military operations in the world.

Offline DanB

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »
^ Funny you should ask about trials for war criminals when Obama just suspended all of their trials for 120 days!

"Casinos and prostitutes have the same thing in common; they are both trying to screw you out of your money and send you home with a smile on you face."

Offline Boreas

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
The victims are owed the justice of trials for those who committed torture or ordered people to be "rendered" to countries where they were subsequently tortured.  I imagine that a "truth and reconciliation" process could be set up so that perpetrators and suspects could speak without fear of punishment.  Truth and reconciliation process was used after the end of the apartheid government in South Africa. 

Obama is an attorney and a former law school professor.  He surely has a better understanding of this than I do.  We will see his direction on this issue soon.  I wholly expect the right wing to cry "retaliation" for whatever Obama does with respect to these gross violations of civil rights and human rights.

Offline DanB

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
I guess it depends what your definition of torture is.

Pulling out someones fingernails or teeth is torture.  Parading them around naked with dog collars is humiliation.
"Casinos and prostitutes have the same thing in common; they are both trying to screw you out of your money and send you home with a smile on you face."

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
"Pulling out someones fingernails or teeth is torture.  Parading them around naked with dog collars is humiliation."

And some people get into that sort of thing :whip: ;-)

Remove Ads