Remove Ads

Author Topic: Newport, KY: Ovation  (Read 65940 times)

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
Re: Newport: Ovation
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2006, 08:48:55 AM »
We are extremely committed to Northern Kentucky. We think Ovation is the right thing for Northern Kentucky. To realize the full potential, we need the help of the state.

If only the same could be said about developers to Cincy...what a crock!

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2006, 10:02:48 AM »
$800M Newport project coming
Developer wants state funding
CINCINNATI POST
December 22, 2006

NEWPORT - In just two weeks, a public housing complex that spanned 14 acres of Newport, Ky.'s riverfront will be history.

Newport City Manager Tom Fromme said he expects demolition crews on Jan. 1 to be finished with the six-month-long process of tearing down the complex, making way for a proposed $800 million retail, office and condo project called Ovation.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061222/NEWS01/612220367
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:10:19 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
This opinion piece makes some great points towards the bottom of the page!

An ambitious project

Along with a lot of people in Northern Kentucky, we're excited about the promise of what has been dubbed the Ovation project along the Newport riverfront.

The Covington-based Corporex Cos. recently purchased 13.9 acres for what it says will be an $800 million project - and which might eventually grow to a total of 30 acres with an even larger private investment. If all goes as planned, land that until recently held a public housing project will someday sport condos, retail shops, banks, medical offices, restaurants and office towers, along with such amenities as public parkland, a hike/bike trail and a pedestrian bridge across the Licking River.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061221/EDIT/612210303/1003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:10:39 AM by Sherman Cahal »
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline Weedrose

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2006, 12:03:57 AM »
^NKY and the entire regions top priority should be getting a hold on CVG.  Bill's throwing his weight around and he'll probably get his way over there since he owns that slice of the region.

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2007, 09:32:43 AM »
Corporex offers Newport update
LUKE E. SALADIN / CINCINNATI POST
January 22, 2007

NEWPORT - Will taxes go up? Where will new roads be located? What will be done to improve the surrounding neighborhood?

Those are just a few of the questions residents are expected to ask Corporex Cos. officials at a public update session Tuesday regarding Ovation, a planned commercial, retail and residential development along Newport's riverfront.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070122/NEWS01/701220383
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:10:46 AM by Sherman Cahal »

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2007, 07:10:26 AM »
Ovation on display in Newport
Developer answers crowd's questions about huge project
BY SCOTT WARTMAN | SWARTMAN@NKY.COM

NEWPORT - No matter where they live in the city, residents say they know Ovation, the $800 million to $1 billion residential/commercial development, will affect them. The questions they had for the developer, Covington-based Corporex, Tuesday night centered on how.

Optimism was mixed with concern among the 60 to 80 residents who went to New Hope Christian Center to hear about the large development planned for the junction of the Licking and Ohio rivers.

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070124/NEWS0103/701240383
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:10:56 AM by Sherman Cahal »
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »
This article only serves to reiterate my comments made before; that this project is well behind the Banks and is going to have to go through the same BS looking for $$$$ that The Banks has gone through.  Again, these State budgets are done at least two years in advance, and most projects never get the entire amount they apply for in the budget.

Corporex says Ovation needs a hand

By Joe Wessels
Post contributor

Corporex Cos. is going to need Kentucky tax dollars to make a go of its Ovation project in Newport and would like the public to help make the pitch.

Debbie Vicchiarelli, Corporex's chief marketing officer, said Northern Kentuckians get back less than half the tax dollars paid to the state.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070124/NEWS01/701240377
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:11:10 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2007, 03:07:57 PM »
I am very distrustful of Corporex

Offline cramer

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »
I guess the ideas of Corbu haven't been as completely discredited as I thought. This place looks brutal.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
This while project has a kind of a "pie-in-the-sky" aspect about it, but prehaps it will happen. The name sounds like a brand of salad dressing.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »
^Or the name of the "fancy" restaurant on a cheap cruise ship. 

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2007, 10:48:50 PM »
Go to GBBN's website and check out the proposal that Towne Properties/Neyer/North American Properties put together with GBBN.  It is light years better than that Corporex POS, check out the video it shows it best.  I know it is all concept, but it looks like they put a hell of a lot more thought into it than Corporex did.

http://www.gbbn.com/Portfolio/Detail/Newport_Housing_Site_Redevelopment/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:53:55 PM by The_Cincinnati_Kid »

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2007, 11:05:44 PM »
WOW....that is light years ahead of what Corporex threw out there!!!  I could support a project like this...just don't give me some Le Coborsier crap with towers surrounded by parks; we've moved past that stuff.  This is a much better proposal.  The scale is much more respectful of the pedestrian, and the context surrounding the project.  This could be worked into the existing urban context in Newport.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »
Yes, much better! Much less Robert Taylor Homes-ish.

Now, if they could get themselves a better webmaster...

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2007, 11:29:26 PM »
BTW, I REALLY like that 'Newport Commons' feature in the plan...that is a great idea and would really help to tie the project in with the rest of Newport.  Hopefully this design prevails over the other crap Corporex came up with.

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »
The fountain/roundabout space would be really unique for the area.

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • My loony bun is fine benny lava!
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
fountain/roundabout space would be really unique for the area.
  I don't know, that may be the first roundybout in the state of KY. Can you imagine all the puzzled faces? :-D

Edit:  http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061226/NEWS0102/612260351/1008/NEWS01

Kentucky doesn't have any true modern roundabouts, though several intersections have similar devices, said Michael Hesse, a project manager with DLZ of Frankfort, which provides architectural, engineering and environmental services
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:39:49 PM by Maximillian »

Online PhattyNati

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »
seems slightly more realistic
“The Cincinnati Enquirer must be edited by children.”   Mark Twain

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2007, 09:06:57 AM »
I just can't believe it...the terrible Ovation plan gets the A-Ok, but the reasonable and much more feasible Levee expansion is in 'trouble'!?!?!?  What are they smoking down their in Frankfort??

Mixed results for Newport
Ovation bill OK; Levee tax break in trouble
BY PATRICK CROWLEY | PCROWLEY@NKY.COM
March 14, 2007

FRANKFORT - Legislation affecting as much as $1.1 billion in Newport riverfront development will be on the agenda when lawmakers return to Frankfort in two weeks.

Both bills provide tax incentives to developers, but the two pieces of legislation could be headed for different fates.

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070314/NEWS0103/703140385
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:12:44 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2007, 04:54:41 PM »
My wife and I jogged past this yesterday, and I hadn't noticed before that it's cleared - like, cleared-cleared - big flat field...and I don't know that anyone will miss the buildings they razed, but I was wondering, does anyone know what the area looked like before they built the projects on it?  Seems like with the gorgeous housing just across the Licking, there may be a tragic tale there for the telling...

Oh, and while I can't imagine it'll end up as part of the project, doesn't it look like they're planning for a new footbridge right at the mouth of the Licking?  Which would absolutely rock, by the way, but I'm a huge fan of bridges!

(...if folks have already mentioned this, I missed it...sorry!)

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
^ no, thx for reposting that rv. i dk what to think at first glance, it's pretty retro-corbusian.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
It was the ghetto..lol I just drove past it this afternoon.

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
It was the ghetto before it was the projects?  I guess that makes sense - I can't imagine someone letting a Millionaire's Row get ripped down for projects - but one never knows...well, plus there had to be major dislocation when the levee when in...

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »
^ no, thx for reposting that rv. i dk what to think at first glance, it's pretty retro-corbusian.

Right on, but unfortunately it is described in this way...this project stinks!

Oh, and while I can't imagine it'll end up as part of the project, doesn't it look like they're planning for a new footbridge right at the mouth of the Licking?  Which would absolutely rock, by the way, but I'm a huge fan of bridges!

Yes I have heard that Covington and Newport have been working on such a pedestrian bridge.  Plus if you notice in the GBBN renderings posted earlier you can actually see a pedestrian bridge within the images.

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2007, 09:18:37 AM »
TIF could bring an Ovation
Bill that may help finance project reaches Ky. governor's desk
BY LAURA BAVERMAN | LBAVERMAN@BIZJOURNALS.COM
March 23, 2007

NEWPORT - A tax increment financing bill before the governor of Kentucky could mean more than $100 million in state financing for the Corporex Cos. Ovation project in Newport - and the start of construction before year's end.

On March 12, House and Senate members passed a bill that defines four structures of TIF, a public financing method that pays for public improvements like parking garages, roadways and public spaces through taxes the state expects to receive once a site has reached its full value. The "signature" TIF would cover up to 100 percent of the cost of public infrastructure for projects surpassing $200 million in the state.

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/03/26/story4.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:12:52 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:43 PM »
Tax breaks to help Ovation
March 26, 2007 | CINCINNATI POST

NEWPORT - Kentucky state Rep. Dennis Keene says tax breaks signed into law Friday by Gov. Ernie Fletcher will not only help launch the Ovation project, but will benefit Newport and all of Northern Kentucky.

"It puts a solid footprint into the evolution of the whole South Bank partnership from Latonia to Dayton," said Keene, D-Wilder. "It's a tremendous center point of that dream.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070326/NEWS01/703260373
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:13:01 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline NBow37

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »
Any new updates on this rando?  has a start date been set?  is the land cleared?  I haven't heard anything about this for awhile, hopefully its not dead

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »
I think that the land has been cleared for some time, but that has been planed for awhile...this project is just taking advantage of that.  I have heard that Bill Butler would like to start before the end of the year, but I HIGHLY doubt that it will even come close to that!

I personally find this project to be a stretch, but nothing has yet confirmed my thoughts.  Its a wait and see thing...these types of projects just take time (that is if you want to get it done right).  And it certainly won't help that The Banks will be started this year...thus gobbling up some of the residential market that Ovation will be after.  There are only soo many people to go around.

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »
I have heard that Bill Butler would like to start before the end of the year, but I HIGHLY doubt that it will even come close to that!

DITTO!

Offline NBow37

« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2007, 01:53:33 PM »
Interesting....I think Northern Kentucky might soon have the tallest building in the greater cincinnati area...I could see them try to one up cincinnati

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2007, 02:53:30 PM »
good luck to them, if it starts a highest building race then that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »
^we already have a beautiful skyline.  While I dont mind more, bigger buildings, I would much rather see a focus on neighborhood development as opposed to these signature developments that stand in obvious contrast to their surroundings and dont fit in.  I think a 'buildings race' would certainly create the latter, more negative effect. 

Offline UncleRando

• Premium Member
  • Get on board!
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2007, 11:53:48 PM »
Interesting....I think Northern Kentucky might soon have the tallest building in the greater cincinnati area...I could see them try to one up cincinnati

I'm sorry, but I don't believe there is ANYTHING on the boards for Nky in terms of skyscrapers.  Sure there are some high rises, but I don't foresee a new tallest in Nky anytime soon!  I think I remember the last time Nky proposed a new tall for the metro...hmmm remember that Millennium Tower thingee that was proposed next to the Bell in Newport?  Don't think about it for too long though...it kind of tarnishes that image of nothing goes wrong in Nky and that the grass is greener type of thing.

Offline Cincinnatus

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Male/33/Cincinnati - BBW - Enjoys parks
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2007, 12:40:17 AM »

That's insane ... lol!
The opening of IKEA just might save Cincinnati from the nation-wide economic downturn. -Jack Atherton

Offline NBow37

« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2007, 01:09:28 AM »
Seriously...they definitely want to showcase themselves.  Remember, Northern Kentucky is one of the metro's fastest growing areas.  either way, it wouldn't be a bad thing in the area.