Remove Ads

Author Topic: Cleveland: VA Hospital Expansion  (Read 43475 times)

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland: VA Hospital Expansion
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »
^^Actually, in my opinion the dorms look a hell of a lot better than those "things" going up on Euclid at CSU but that's not too difficult a challenge.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
^Ha, yeah, I guess they don't have pastel colored fake siding with wood grain patterns on them.  Tough challenge indeed.

^^I assume the dorms are for some class of long term veteran patient, but I don't really remember.  It must be in one of the articles posted upthread through.

Eesh, the more I look back at old renderings, the more I wish they could have lopped off a couple stories from that garage- it is super tall; must be among the tallest in the city.  Looks like they chose to put a bit of setback in between E105th and the garage, but I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to cramp E105th if it meant they could have reduced the height (by having larger floors) or at the very least to protect the views from the west a little more, even with the garage's full height.  With all those many hundreds of new employees, they might have even gone nuts and dropped a couple retail slots on the ground floor of the garage right on E105th.  Oh well.  I have no idea what kind of negotiation went into that garage, if any, so maybe that 25 foot setback was what the neighborhood wanted.

BTW, how man employees is this bringing into the city from Brecksville and/or new jobs total?

An article from 2007 earlier in the thread said the consolidation would mean 1000 new jobs at UC.  Don't know if that's still the case though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:57:14 PM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
^Sometimes you have to believe that those individuals who plan and/or  design such tall garages have never been in one in their lives or have always been favored with VIP parking on the first level.  Nothing drives me more insane than having to go round and round from the top of tall parking garage wondering when this will ever end.  Moreover, it leads to drivers wanting to drive faster than the posted or reasonable limit, resulting in a dangerous situation in such tight spaces.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
I believe that the setback along 105th was left so that some small scale retail could be added at a later date.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
^Interesting.  Hope it happens someday.  It's kind of mind blowing how little convenience retail there is in UC considering how many people work and visit there.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
1000 new workers sounds about right.  But the spin off will be much more than that.  The administrative offices moving from Brecksville (accounting, regional counsel, record keeping, etc) is going to bring a different dynamic too.

^Sometimes you have to believe that those individuals who plan and/or  design such tall garages have never been in one in their lives or have always been favored with VIP parking on the first level.  Nothing drives me more insane than having to go round and round from the top of tall parking garage wondering when this will ever end.  Moreover, it leads to drivers wanting to drive faster than the posted or reasonable limit, resulting in a dangerous situation in such tight spaces.

At least it won't have one of those spiral spines going down the middle.  I took my pick-up to a Cavs game one time downtown and parked in a garage with one of those.  That was interesting.
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
What is the workforce population now for Downtown and University Circle anyways?

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »
I seem to recall north of 100,000 for downtown and about 1/3 to 1/2 that in UC.
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg - Thomas Jefferson

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2011, 03:10:01 PM »
roughly 110,000 employees dt, and roughly 40,000 in UC, for those wondering.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
Thank you for answering!

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »
Wow, I missed this report when it first came out:

U.S. Inspector General issues critical review of Wade Park-Brecksville VA facility merger
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/10/post_52.html

If the IG is even close to right...then wow, what a bunch of clowns running the local VA.  It's been good for the City of Cleveland, I suppose, but maybe not for the federal treasury.

Oh, and now the VA wants to build a one story outpatient facility on Superior b/w 89th and 90th. 
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_va_to_open_outpatien.html#incart_river_default

Anyone notice if there's anything underway on the grass strip b/w the new VA garage and East 105th or the land north of the garage?  I know these were tagged for "future retail" or something else vague and unlikely, but maybe there's been some action since.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:42:04 PM by StrapHanger »

Offline BelievelandD1

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »
Edit.

i wouldnt expect anything anytime soon on that land.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:40:26 PM by BelievelandD1 »