Photos > General Photos

Urban Ohio "Picture Of The Day"

<< < (437/521) > >>

mrnyc:
w'burg bank bldg in the fog 2nite

NorthAndre:

Snapped this random shot of a new bike lane on Wabash.  It's okay, but with the city installing all these new cycle tracks, I'm surprised this wasn't selected.  Mayor Emmanuel has pledged to build 100 miles of completely separated and protected cycle tracks.  They are appearing across the city by the month, but Wabash shown here could have easily knocked out 2 miles.

Robert Pence:
... and two cyclists riding against traffic, despite the fact that there's an opposite-direction lane on the other side of the street. I see that frequently and I want so badly to stop them and explain things to them, but the guys I see doing it usually are roughneck types who could and probably would pound my a**.

Edit; Add the observation that these two are wearing dark clothing at night and riding with minimal or no lights. Maybe Darwin will right the situation.

mrnyc:
"effing terrorists!" is the preferred ny response.

unfortunately the bike lanes are quite a mixed bag for pedestrians. its good to take out roads for bikes of course and its good to have an island to hang out on if necessary in the middle of the street, but you have to look back and forth so many times just to cross a street you can get whiplash!

eastvillagedon:

--- Quote from: mrnyc on April 27, 2012, 12:24:21 PM ---"effing terrorists!" is the preferred ny response.

unfortunately the bike lanes are quite a mixed bag for pedestrians. its good to take out roads for bikes of course and its good to have an island to hang out on if necessary in the middle of the street, but you have to look back and forth so many times just to cross a street you can get whiplash!

--- End quote ---

I especially love it when the bikers are going in the wrong direction!! I've started walking in what I consider the neutral zone, the area between the bike lanes and the cars (with the broad white diagonal lines). Obviously I don't think pedestrians are supposed to use that, but sometimes the sidewalk is too crowded, especially at night. I think people have more or less gotten used to them, but in the beginning I always used to think that a turning car was going to enter the bike lane as I crossed over to the island. That said, most bicyclists still seem to feel like they're exempt from traffic laws in New York. The arrogance!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version