Remove Ads

Author Topic: Rock Climbing...Best Places to Go ?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline David

• Premium Member
Rock Climbing...Best Places to Go ?
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »
I went to Rock Quest with a few of my friends and had a great time today. I love it because it requires quick thinking and you try to think a step ahead as you're moving and it's also a great workout. Seriously, if you haven't done it then you have no idea how strenuous it is, especially bouldering and climbing upside down. My friends want to go to this place in Alabama called the Horse Pens 40. It's suppose to be a good deal and a great place to do it and we could drive there and get there the same day. We'd be doing it during christmas break so the weather down there will be perfect. Do any of you guys know of some other good places to go? It's something i'm probably about to get heavily into.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Rock Climbing...Best Places to Go ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 01:59:22 AM »
May be a bit out of your way (not that Alabama isn't), but the best Cleveland options I know of are the Cleveland Rock Gym (http://www.clevelandrockgym.com/ ... mostly indoor climbing and a little natural climbing) and Whipp's Ledges at Hinkley Reservation in the Cleveland Metroparks (these are a long series of natural rock walls left over from when Northeast Ohio was underwater ... I would advise against going whenever this woman went; it looks a little chilly). Rock climbing rocks!

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 02:29:05 AM »
You know there's rock climbing on the old reservoir wall in Eden Park, right?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=5469

It's free, it's outdoors, it's in the park, and there's parking right next to it...here's the picture I used to illustrate David Baker Pass gateway in the photo trivia thread, which shows the wall:

...and here's an aerial from back when climbing the inside of that wall would have been significantly easier!

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:22:11 AM »
May be a bit out of your way (not that Alabama isn't), but the best Cleveland options I know of are the Cleveland Rock Gym (http://www.clevelandrockgym.com/ ... mostly indoor climbing and a little natural climbing) and Whipp's Ledges at Hinkley Reservation in the Cleveland Metroparks (these are a long series of natural rock walls left over from when Northeast Ohio was underwater ... I would advise against going whenever this woman went; it looks a little chilly). Rock climbing rocks!
That looks like a great place to go; thanks!

RV-- I would have never guessed that that picture is of Eden Park. It looks like somewhere in Europe. I've climbed that reservoir wall before, actually. Good times.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »
You know there's rock climbing on the old reservoir wall in Eden Park, right?

Ahh, yes I do ;)

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • get dowwwn!
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »
i was messing around on the rock wall at the centerville community center in between workouts while we visited family last month. i had never done that before, it was pretty fun. i think the cost was $5/day for non-residents.

ps -- that before & after reservoir shot is really stunning.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ The HNIC of UO! ♪♪
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
The UrbanKrag in the Oregon District is really fun as well.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline tcj1985

• The Firelander
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 01:19:09 PM »
I've been climbing in Hinckley (Medina County) and in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.  Both I recommend!

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 01:36:01 PM »
Wow, loving the Eden park wall!  I never knew about that.

How about up in Northeast Ohio?  My sis is a big climber and just moved back to the region, so I'd like to be able to point her in the right direction...

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:43:00 AM »
^The consensus for natural climbing seems to be Whipp's Ledges in the Hinkley Reservation. For indoor, there's also the Cleveland Rock Gym (www.clevelandrockgym.com) in Euclid.

Offline Eighth and State

• Global Moderator
  • Mill Creek Yacht Club
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »

Here are some more photos of the Eden Park old reservoir wall from the first really warm day in 2010. Yay! It's climbing season!

Cavers

Random climber

Offline oakiehigh

• The majority of sprawl in this country is produced by those who are fleeing from sprawl.
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Ready for the New Nati?
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »
The UrbanKrag in the Oregon District is really fun as well.

Agree!

Some of Dayton's finest checking it out!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:42:25 PM by oakiehigh »
...there's a reason that Elm Street and Main Street resonate in our cultural memory. It's not because we're sentimental saps. It's because this pattern of human ecology produced places that worked wonderfully well, and which people deeply loved. - Jim Kunstler

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 05:25:56 AM »
Whoa that is stunning. So it looks like they removed the floor to increase vertical?
"Yes, UO, you're my dirty little mistress."-AJ93

Offline oakiehigh

• The majority of sprawl in this country is produced by those who are fleeing from sprawl.
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Ready for the New Nati?
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
Yup!  It is done well!  Highly recommend checking it out.
...there's a reason that Elm Street and Main Street resonate in our cultural memory. It's not because we're sentimental saps. It's because this pattern of human ecology produced places that worked wonderfully well, and which people deeply loved. - Jim Kunstler